WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

I did my last LASH last year to finish the AT, Katahdin SOBO to Crawford Notch.
    Next week I'm going to do a 3 day hike on the Florida Trail to test out my new tent, Gossamer Gear The One.
    I'm then going to north Georgia in late February to hike the Georgia loop again; I hiked it last year in preps for my AT LASH...
    I'm going to Damascus in late March to hike SOBO to Springer Mountain, taking the AT to Davenport Gap, then thru hiking the Benton Mackaye Trail SOBO down to Springer....cant't wait to get started!
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    In May I'll start at the James River Footbridge and head north, to either Rockfish Gap or possibly through the Shenandoas.

I began section hiking at Springer in 2007. I've done two trips in two years, missed one year, and all the other years did one trip. My shortest section was 12 miles; the longest 100. I'm 62. Don't know how far I'll go. Don't know how much longer I have. Don't think I'll finish, but we'll see. If I can make it to the halfway point by around age 65, it'll be time to make a call.
    Yeah Dan I call BS , let's be more positive with this one life to live!
    Unless you have some kind of medical condition you should be able to hike well into your 70's!
    As a matter of fact a know a fellow on here with the initials TW that carries a 100 pound pack around the mountains for 3 weeks, but I'm starting to think he's not human more A.I !

.......and DR if you decide to take illabelle advice I'll be looking for hiking partners this year or next for the white mountains and Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    I did my last LASH last year to finish the AT, Katahdin SOBO to Crawford Notch.
    Next week I'm going to do a 3 day hike on the Florida Trail to test out my new tent, Gossamer Gear The One.
    I'm then going to north Georgia in late February to hike the Georgia loop again; I hiked it last year in preps for my AT LASH...
    I'm going to Damascus in late March to hike SOBO to Springer Mountain, taking the AT to Davenport Gap, then thru hiking the Benton Mackaye Trail SOBO down to Springer....cant't wait to get started!
    Wow, very impressive congratulations on finishing the AT applause and respect! Also impressive schedule good for you, as I always say LIVE LIFE HARD !!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I snagged the last riverside campsite at Elkmont for the opening night of the 2023 season, March 10. Almost two months away, so I'm hoping to be comfortable with a 0.8 loop hike (after ankle fracture, for those who didn't see earlier post). Hike includes a little footbridge over a creek, same kind that's all over the Smokies, same kind that I've crossed dozens of times. But it makes me nervous. A lot of work between now and then to rebuild ligaments and stuff - and confidence. Gives me something real to look forward to.
    "The last site " , serendipity? It was meant to be make it happen, make strong, make it comfortable! And oh let's know how it goes good luck with everything come back stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerfixit View Post
    I'm planning on continuing my hiking through PA. I started in MD and have gotten as far as rt34 in PA. We'll be heading north spending the night near the Alec Kennedy shelter before finishing in Boiling Springs the next day. Then later in the year we'll continue on from Boiling Springs and tackling the Cumberland River valley heading North.

I try to do two trips a year spending one night on the trail. Its slow work but I'm making progress.
    Slow work is better than no work in my book

Images

Much like Illabelle, my plans are a bit muddled due to having total (right) hip replacement arthroplasty two weeks ago. I haven't been able to shoulder a pack for any distance or climb over uneven terrain for a solid 15 months without hip pain so my trail time has been hampered, to say the least. Good thing about hip replacement surgery is the remarkable success rate that follows, bearing in mind that a person does their due diligence in the physical therapy stage. Rule of thumb is small steps: short day hikes- leading to longer hikes, which culminate into multi-day hiking. Ultimately, I need to begin/finish the AT in my own state, namely south of Pearisburg--north of Massie Gap. It's a 4 hour drive from my front door. Happy hiking in '23 and possibly our paths will cross. Hopefully I can lose the cane and replace it with trekking poles by that time.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    2023 will be my first full year of retirement life (which is awesome, by the way!). I was looking at the BMT, but instead I'm going to take a third E2E hike on the Long Trail in June. Bad timing for bugs, but bad bugs means good fishing, and I'm going to spend some time during those long (15+ hours) June days.

And at least 9 more of the NH 4,000-footers, to get me to #30, with some fishing and gold panning while I'm at it. The Whites are just 2 hours from my house, close enough for day trips or overnighters, and I don't have to hike on weekends!

I don't know how I found time for work the past 50 years.
    Congratulations on your retirement!! Sounds like you have a great plan, now get er done .......

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Much like Illabelle, my plans are a bit muddled due to having total (right) hip replacement arthroplasty two weeks ago. I haven't been able to shoulder a pack for any distance or climb over uneven terrain for a solid 15 months without hip pain so my trail time has been hampered, to say the least. Good thing about hip replacement surgery is the remarkable success rate that follows, bearing in mind that a person does their due diligence in the physical therapy stage. Rule of thumb is small steps: short day hikes- leading to longer hikes, which culminate into multi-day hiking. Ultimately, I need to begin/finish the AT in my own state, namely south of Pearisburg--north of Massie Gap. It's a 4 hour drive from my front door. Happy hiking in '23 and possibly our paths will cross. Hopefully I can lose the cane and replace it with trekking poles by that time.
    As long as Johnnybgood, and takes it slow you'll be good to go.
    Good luck with everything.

Journal Entries

It's February, not exactly "Happy New Year", but so what, I'm HAPPY.

It's been eleven weeks since my ankle surgery. Last Wed/Thur (4-5 days ago) I stood on my injured foot with my full weight for about 1/10 of a second. It hurt. Friday I increased it to 1/2 a second. It hurt. Yesterday I took about two dozen unsupported (no crutches) steps. Minimal pain. I was shocked that I could do that!

Later yesterday afternoon we headed to a nearby park and started a real dirt trail (on crutches). We had about 1-1/2 hours to kill. I figured we'd go for 30-40 minutes or as long as I could bear it, then turn around. The on-trail maps at junctions and the AllTrails maps didn't match at all. We took a turn that we thought would lead us back to the parking lot. Instead, it meandered all over the place, back and forth, up and down, in and our, never really going anywhere. We did finally reach our vehicle, but it took 2 hours, and my phone pedometer claims we did 1.9 miles!

I know I'll be limping for a long time, but it felt so good to be OUT THERE! The dancing banana needs to be a jumping banana.

Congratulations. And respect. Recovery and rehab is hard work!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++