WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alpaca All Things

Have not seen any discussion on Alpaca products and specs....

Good Brands?
    Insulation vs Wool?
    Durability?
    Alpaca vs Opossum down?
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-17-2023 at 10:42.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have an Appalachian Gear Co alpaca hoody. LOVE IT. Super warm. I can see leaving my puffy behind for many of my trips as I don't really hike in "winter." I can also see myself being much more comfortable when hit by unexpectedly cold temps. Truth is I will probably continue to carry both for a while more. Both have their pluses.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I bought a few beautiful alpaca sweaters in the markets in La Paz Bolivia some years ago (for a song). Loved them but they did smell like a wild animal, and shrunk down to child's size when my wife decided to wash them. But what great colors and patterns, and nice and warm!

I own something like 5 beanies of various materials and my alpaca one is the warmest one I own. I’ve never washed it and notice no smell. Great gift from my brother on a trip he took to Nepal.

Piqued my curiosity as well, I have never used any alpaca wool products for hiking but I do wear an alpaca/merino/poly beanie when archery hunting. It is comfortable and warm but I don't find it any better or worse than my other wool or wool blend beanies. However, we (my wife) have several small alpaca blankets and I find them to be surprisingly warm given how light weight they are. I might try one of those blankets this summer instead of a quilt, I think it's worth exploring.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Default Alpaca Alll Things

I also have an App Gear Co hoody and recently bought one of the long sleeve tees from them. the t-shirt is 80/20 merino / tencel and I love it.

So....I bit the bullet and got 2 pairs of paka socks (https://www.pakaapparel.com/) and today was my first trial (only at work not on trail) but I love these socks already. Thinner and softer than my SW PhD socks, seem to be equally or more warm. Concerned with durability. cost was $20/ pair...typical of high quality socks
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

For those people that have the Appalachian Gear Alpacca hoodie, what have you experienced with respect to durability. I have one and really like the fit, feel, and function. I have not worn it for hiking with a backpack due to my initial concerns about wear from the straps, etc. What has been your experiences with it's durability on the trail?

Default Alpaca Alll Things

I wear mine at camp and at breaks so haven't worn it under a pack.

++ New Posts ++