WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Iron Mountain Gap (TN 107/NC 226) to Erwin, TN, SOBO - - advice/experiences wanted

Looking to do a weekend section from Iron Mountain Gap (TN 107/NC 226) to Erwin, TN, heading SOBO in a few weeks.

Any advice/wisdom/experience you can share on staying at the piped spring campsites at mile mark 356.6 near USFS 230 or Curly Maple Shelter?

With the recent rains in that area of TN, I imagine water sources listed in AWOL should be flowing good.

Looking forward to hitting Unaka Mountain and Beauty Spot.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

No intel on those sites specifically, but if you’re hiking that section in a few weeks, before leaf-out, you will have a plethora of constant winter views! I hiked some of that section last June, in peak leaf, and greatly enjoyed it. I agree with your assessment on the springs.

I live in the area. Although not as abundant as usual, you should have no problem with
    the water. Curly Maple shelter definitely has water, I was there last week and it has rained since
    then. We had a very bad acorn crop this year, so, as always, hang your food with care.

++ New Posts ++