WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Try this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/185568906190

s-l1600.jpg

Seller feedback is good and the price is right. It's listed for a different phone, but it's the same part number with identical specs.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 01-27-2023 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Try this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/185568906190

s-l1600.jpg

Seller feedback is good and the price is right. It's listed for a different phone, but it's the same part number with identical specs.
    Thanks a bunch for the input as it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I think I had one of these once upon a time. You might be able to find an OEM replacement battery on Ebay. I have no idea about the solar charging question, but one thing I can advise regarding having the battery removed & unused for long periods of time -- it will likely need to be recharged, even if you removed it at 100%. It can be kind of quirky, but if you connect it to the charger, disconnect it, and then connect it again, it should accept the recharging without any problems. Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules.
    I have found the phone loses about 10% power per day when "on" but closed---and about 7% with the phone powered off. Not sure how much with the battery out of the phone. If like my old Nokia spare batteries keep their charge for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Obviously you got a "Nokia 2620 Flip".
    Simply using Google, I could not find a replacement battery for exactly this model.
    According to the Nokia website, this specific model should be good for "up to 28 days of standby", so if you are using your phone for your pickup contact on the end of your trip, or emergency calls only, you should be fine with just the original battery.

Normally, it is safe to remove the battery and store it separately, and just insert it into the phone in case you need it.
    But then, batteries tend to leak a tiny bit and lose some charge even if stored outside the phone, especially if stored in "outdoor conditions" (like, variying temperatures, dust/dirt and damp conditions).
    Another bad effect is, that modern phones (running on Android) need a serious amount of battery to just boot.
    So usually its more safe to keep the battery inside the phone, and just put the device in flightmode.

Given you are carrying a good quality solar charger, it should work to charge the phone via USB plug.
    Again, this provides some issues: Charging the device while hiking (which you're doing normally during the day) would need you to connect the phone and the solar device the whole time, and this may set the fragile devices, cables and plugs at risk of damage. Charging the phone while resting only might not give you enough charging time to keep the device in a good state of charge.
    You may get a solar charger that includes a (if small) powerbank, which would save you the hassle of taking care of this fragile stuff while hiking.

My advice is to carry a powerbank of a decent size and charge the phone overnight, if need arises. No solar charger. Powerbanks are designed to keep the charge and work under outdoor conditions.
    My Anker 20.000 never failed me so far. You may get about 6-8 charges of you phone out of a 20.000 powerbank.
    This works just fine, only drawback is, charging might not work in really severe cold. During winter trips, you might need to put powerbank+phone inside your sleepingbag to get it working.

Have fun with your new phone!
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what "standby" means---I guess powered off. My simple solution is to remove battery and wrap both in ziploc bags until needed. Luckily it runs on a Call/Text only Tracfone plan for $15 a month---but no data so no online surfing for me. Sadly unlike the old plan my days don't carry over---I can't add a second 15 Day card and get 60 days. Each card is for 30 days period. If out on a trip and reach expiration date I hope ADD 611611 works in a dead zone or the phone will Deactivate. 60 and 90 day cards are available but they all have Data gigs which I don't want or need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++