WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Amicalola Lodge

Default Amicalola Lodge

Just looked to see what pricing is there for 2 nights on a weekend. WooWee that's expensive! That's more than we usually pay for a month's stay at an RV park. Is it worth it? I am considering booking us next year when I start my hike. Figured we could spend a night, a full day there together and then start the approach trail the following day. TheOtherHalf will likely be staying in an RV campground about 5 hours north of there for 2 months while I hike and then we will move him up the trail to another RV park. He's a great support so I want to make sure he gets to enjoy some of my trip!

Those of you who have stayed there, Is it worth it in your opinion?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

The family and I stayed there couple years ago when I did the Benton MacKaye trail. We booked one of the Lodge rooms not the cabins. Was worth it to us to be able to spend the weekend together day hiking the area. The restaurant was ok so we didn't need to drive anywhere. I hit the trail and they went to BlueRidge to shop before heading home.

I stayed there for a couple of nights last year. I wanted the time there to "decompress" after all the last minute hectic chaos at home and the long drive down to Georgia. Overall, the accommodations were pretty good; it’s pretty much like a Comfort Inn -- not a 4 star resort experience, but not the worst place either.

By spending all of Saturday there, I was able to enjoy a beautiful and leisurely walk up the stairs *without hauling my whole pack*, thus saving my knees from premature destruction.

The room was clean and comfortable, not really anything special to write home about -- but the view was spectacular. I got one of the 1st floor, west facing rooms that have a little patio.

The entire lodge is really pretty, with some beautiful views from a nice terrace and 2-story picture windows. There is a nice fireplace in the main lobby (as well as one in another common area one floor below), and I really enjoyed talking to other hikers and sharing our excitement.

The restaurant was okay, but only okay. Fantastic views, good service, but the food was...meh. Be aware that they open kind of late for breakfast (I think it was 8am?), so by the time I was done ordering, waiting, eating, and waiting for the check, I got off to a much later start than I wanted.

Yes, it is fairly spendy. Was it worth it? Yes, for me it was. I found it to be a beautiful and peaceful place to shift my mental gears; I enjoyed the conversation and company of other hikers doing the same, and definitely appreciated the opportunity to *enjoy* the stairs, not dread them. When I set out on the approach trail, I was rested and ready to go.

Hope this helps.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Its an older hotel in a state park up a nice litte low gear hill next to an extremely popular waterfall. So its gonna cost a bit more than a Comfort Inn, but its in the ballpark for accommodations in the area. Can pay half of that in Dahlonega which isn't too far away.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++