WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default FarOut app question

I have the FarOut app for the AT on my iPhone. When I click on a point, I get information, including GPS coordinates. For example, I have it open on my iPhone now. When I click on a P symbol near the beginning of the trail, I see it is Horse Gap, mi 10.5, elev 2667ft. I scroll down a little bit and I see 34.655613, -84.105659.

My friend has the FarOut app on her android phone. She sees much the same information until the scroll down. She does not see GPS coordinates.

She tried contacting FarOut but it may be she didn't explain her issue correctly. The instructions they gave her were for a non-functioning GPS. The GPS on her phone works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why she can't see GPS coordinates and I can?

Thank you

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy A03s), and I'd love to tell you I see the GPS coordinates, but I don't! I seem to recall reading about this somewhere else - it wasn't an option on Android phones.

So is she checking the exact same "P"? I'm wondering if FarOut is only reporting the GPS for the points where someone recorded it at that location.
    I was just looking at Arkansas's Eagle Rock Loop. The "P" for parking lots, have GPS. Some other points do have GPS and yet others do not. I'm thinking the App reports what someone has reported at that point for GPS.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

All waypoints have the GPS coordinates provided using the FarOut app on my iPhone. I tried logging into FarOut on my Dell computer and I am unable to see the GPS coordinates.

The iPhone and Android versions of FarOut are entirely different apps. They are not the same app ported to different platforms. I recall an iPhone user going nuts because of something his app didn't do that everyone kept telling him worked for them. Enjoy your bonus gps coordinates until you run into whatever that was
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

While not the solution she wants is she able to get GPS coordinates using another App on her Android?

On my iPhone I can see GPS coordinates in the Compass App. You do need to have your Location Services properly set up in the Privacy Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    While not the solution she wants is she able to get GPS coordinates using another App on her Android?

On my iPhone I can see GPS coordinates in the Compass App. You do need to have your Location Services properly set up in the Privacy Settings.
    I believe she wants to see GPS coordinates on points selected on FarOut app map, not her current location which is what the Compass app shows.

my phone (android) I get a what3words "address" for the locations. Kind of useless
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    my phone (android) I get a what3words "address" for the locations. Kind of useless

Should be a user setting to choose between W3W or GPS display, but I imagine that would be too simple.

Remembered what was driving the iPhone guy crazy. It was the elevation display. Android let you scale vertically and horizontally as controls so you could view the mountains of the Long Trail well, but iPhone forced the scale in a less useful way or at least enough to make him complain enough that I remember it
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    On an Android device, you can get Longitude/Latitude for any point to the nearest second using Google Earth.

On a PC, clicking on a location from a google map will give the coordinates in decimal form in the address field.

++ New Posts ++