WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Looking for Info on Campsites Va between Bland and I-81

Looking for some information for anyone who might be familiar with the section from Bland to I-81. Planning an end of March section hike in this section. Questions are....

1)Laurel Creek Va 615 gravel road. Maps show camping available with water. How far from the road is this campsite?

2)Davis Farm Campsite. Shows camping and intermittent water source. Any info about this site.

3)South of Chestnut Knob Shelter a few miles shows a spring with a pond. Is there anywhere close to this site to tent, or hammock?

4)Va 42, O'Lystery Pavilion. Shows private, do not use, but also shows water and camping. Is camping allowed, and how far from the road is this site?

5)Which trail club maintains this section?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    The Way I Get To Where I'm Going Is To Walk Away From Where I've Been.

Pooh

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked all of this in 2022. Nice section.
    1) The camp area is very very close to the parking area. Nice sites.
    2) Davis camp is way down in a hole. Guthook app indicates the water source is permanently dry and comments indicate poor. At the top of the hill by the sign going nobo, just across on the AT is a tent area with a lot of room. We stayed there. There is sometimes a water cache at VA623 crossing. Jenkins shelter 3 miles North has lots of water, tenting, and is nice.
    3) Yes, it is near both woods and open fields.
    4) The pavilion is right on the road. It’s private, not for camping. There is a nice hostel (Bear Garden) very close to where the trail crosses. Just north of the road and pavilion is a tent site.
    5) I don’t know off hand.

I have a few YouTube videos of these sections (KrizAkoni)

Quote Originally Posted by hiker37691 View Post
    Looking for some information for anyone who might be familiar with the section from Bland to I-81. Planning an end of March section hike in this section. Questions are....

1)Laurel Creek Va 615 gravel road. Maps show camping available with water. How far from the road is this campsite?

2)Davis Farm Campsite. Shows camping and intermittent water source. Any info about this site.

3)South of Chestnut Knob Shelter a few miles shows a spring with a pond. Is there anywhere close to this site to tent, or hammock?

4)Va 42, O'Lystery Pavilion. Shows private, do not use, but also shows water and camping. Is camping allowed, and how far from the road is this site?

Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

5)Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I did this section last year.

Concerning the pavilion, I believe it is a Ruritan owned pavilion if it's the one I'm thinking of. There were no "No Trespassing" signs and it was pouring rain when I hit that spot so I took lunch there with no problems. A couple other section hikers had the same idea. There were however "No Camping" signs and "No Dumping" signs. There was also a privy but it was foul so I elected to forgo that.

As far as camping, there was a small tent site right up the trail going NOBO from the road with a nice little stream. And as others have said, there is a hostel right down the road.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Images

A little dated, but here's what I found in my section hike notes from back in 2015:

Campsites are basically right next to the road. Road doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I still wouldn't recommend camping there.

This was one of my favorite campsites in VA. It is about 0.3 downhill on a blue blaze side trail. Nice flat dirt tent pads with room for 2-3 tents. Spring about 50 yards beyond the tent pads, it was running well when I was there. Great view across the valley, remarkably 5 bars AT&T. Only downside was the noise from dogs and cows down in the valley, but it stopped shortly after dark.

Yes, good tent and hammock sites in this area. Water from a nearby spring which flows into the pond.

No camping but apparently there's a hostel nearby now (wasn't there in 2015). The Knot Maul Branch shelter is about 2 miles north of there which is where I ended up staying.
    It's all good in the woods.

Chestnut Knob shelter was one of my favorites. Perhaps due to thinking I would get in after dark and instead making it with time to watch sunset over Burkes Garden. Great views. And then sleeping inside while the wind howled like banshees.

Images

Appreciate the info!!!! Thanks!!!

Pooh

Images

Follow-up question. Between Va 42 and Va 742 it looks like fields or pastures. Does anyone know if there are any places that one could tent?

Pooh

Images

Follow-up question. Between Va 42 and Va 742 it looks like fields or pastures. Does anyone know if there are any places that one could tent?
    No - that's part of the 2.5 mile section where the trail goes through private property and camping is not allowed.

Images

Thanks for that info.

Pooh

++ New Posts ++