WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Propping up in Tent

Problem: I am having trouble (and always have) propping up while on my exped pad. I use the sea to summit medium size pillow, and its just no where near thick enough to have a little prop up in the mornings and mainly in the evenings before sleep. Im not looking for a situp solution, just how others prop their head up while scrolling their phone or reading in the evening before sleep.

My issue is the slip. any crap I put under my pillow to add thickness just slides out from between my pad and pillow. Really ticks me off lol

My current solution is to get a second sea to summit pillow(this one the premium) and stack the 2 when I want to prop up, and then have the small one to hold(Im a pillow holder at home) and then have the upgrade of the premium size for this hat rack of mine.

How do you prop your head up at night?
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Man, this is right in my wheelhouse as I spend alot of time in camp with my head propped up in a supine position to read, write, snack or do supine yoga. Therefore a head support is vital. I use a Nalgene liter bottle with the closed opening resting in my down pillow and the bottom end tilted up against the back of my head---the pillow is off the sleeping pad and provides enough traction to keep the bottle from sliding. You can even cover the bottom of the bottle with a small CCF foam cap if you need the comfort but the bottom of a nalgene bottle is flat and just right for my head shape.

You can also use a full food bag if it's big enough.

I usually place my clothes bag and/or puffy under my pad to elevate my head. It can still slip, but is less likely to than when on top of the pad. You could try different materials for a clothes bag - something with some grip that isn't as slick as nylon/poly/tyvek.

I gave up trying to prop up in the tent for reading.
    I simply set the sreen rotation to "off" and lay on my side for reading on the smartphone.

Walter - your idea with the Nalgene bottle is just - great!
    Maybe this would come close: https://www.etsy.com/de/market/afrik...opfst%C3%BCtze

I put a shirt over my pad and stuff my pillow into it. The shirt keeps the pillow in place. When I want to be propped up a bit more I just stuff more into the shirt.

I just shine my headlamp right into my eyes as bright as I can. Thusly blinded, I can’t read anything anyway, so I go to sleep.

Seriously, I just do the sideways thing too. If you have a Vecto, or other empty bladder I suppose you could puff it up and seal it real quick….
    Last edited by HankIV; 01-30-2023 at 22:51. Reason: Can’t for can

Journal Entries
    Images

yep, I lock my screen as well and adapted to laying on my side to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I gave up trying to prop up in the tent for reading.
    I simply set the sreen rotation to "off" and lay on my side for reading on the smartphone.

Walter - your idea with the Nalgene bottle is just - great!
    Maybe this would come close: https://www.etsy.com/de/market/afrik...opfst%C3%BCtze
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Looks like you're using a good pad, so you could underinflate it a bit, and fold the head end under itself. Return to normal shape and put another breath in when it's time to sleep.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Looks like you're using a good pad, so you could underinflate it a bit, and fold the head end under itself. Return to normal shape and put another breath in when it's time to sleep.
    I agree this is a good idea but I for 1 am too lazy to reconstruct my pad for sleeping, as well I am way too paranoid about delamination and baffles popping to fold my pad with pressure.

Although Exped does have an exceptional Customer Service department!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post

How do you prop your head up at night?
    I sit in my T-rest chair and snuggle up in my sleeping bag reading a good book. In the morning I will sit in my chair next to my stove and make breakfast and tea.

You could possibly try silicon dots on your pad to counter the slip but your arm is still going to get numb holding up a phone or book and you'll still get a crick in your neck plus you won't be able to sit around the campfire wherever you want to and read a book comfortably.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Ive decided to go the second inflatable pillow route....I will enjoy having a hold pillow, and a larger head pillow

I usually don't need to prop in the evenings, sleep comes fast when I am tired. However, when I do need to prop myself up I will use a stuff sack pillow on my pack, using the clothing inside to shape it a bit. Not much will stop the Termarest slide, especially if you are lying on any kind of grade, but the pack itself won't slide.

As a late thought there are inflatable pillows of different types from airline pillows that no one seems to wear properly to small, round pillows that do not require much air to blow up.

++ New Posts ++