WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I guess my wood burning stoves in my hot tents is a no-no.

When I was young and dumb and full of rum (151) I received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 80% of my face ( flaming shots)
    Thank God no scars.
    I have used a tea candle in my cat stove inside the tent and probably will again someday in the future. But I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed .

But I am sharp enough to have never ever done another flaming shot of alcohol that's for sure!!

I use these led string lights. Weigh maybe an oz, and I'm still on the first one with good battery left after several hikes. I either string it up on the ceiling of the tent, or just lay it next to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm a retired firefighter. I don't even have candles in the house.
    My dad was a firefighter as well....No candles allowed lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I still have my UCO candle lantern. Extremely rare to bring it with modern headlamps but it is nice to have in the winter. It was always nice to have while playing cards.

If you've ever made candles, you'd know that adding stearin hardens the candles and makes them burn longer. I used to save short candles for the lantern. I wouldn't say it is completely safe but the lantern had a globe and the candle is well housed. The lantern does weigh at least 6 oz. If you wanted a little ambience but were concerned about the flames you could try these tea lights.

I wouldn't light a candle lantern in the morning...brain fog. I've found that it helps to wear gloves when packing up the tent to avoid that icy chill that heads up the veins in my arms.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Long ago I used the hanging candles referenced above in the wintertime for both light and warmth. With two people in a small light tent (like a Eureka Timberline 2 or a TNF Westwind) I'd bet that in still air the inside temp would rise about 5F or so. Never had an issue with melting, just kept the holder halfway between the ceiling and the floor on a light string. In summer it wasn't worth the weight, so I just used a lightweight AA Mag Lite without the reflector. How times change.

To this day I may use the candle lantern while in the company of a date. Even in warmer months. But flashlight technology makes candles not much more than nostalgic or romantic.

Earlier someone mentioned a propane or butane lantern. I can think of no case where using one of those are worth the weight compared to battery powered illumination. Though I still have my well-used Gaz one somewhere in the garage.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Images

Been using a candle lantern since the 80'sAdds a few degrees in the winter as well as ambiance. The brand I used was UCO. Agree with everyone else, the wax tends to bind up over time and cause the sprng action to not work - just takes a little cleaning and scratchiing away at buildup. I wouldn't trust an open flame in a tent. Too many opportunities to bump it over.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    I love UCO lantern in a shelter, especially when I am alone. also nice on a tree limb at camp, just for effect. I don't use it in a tent though...I'm too worried about my precious Silnylon.
    I've heard the light can cut down on mouse activity and so I too like to bring my UCO lantern when I'm staying in a shelter. I've got a string attached to it and hang it from the rafters out of the way.

Images

If you use a thick canvas tent it is much safer. A properly designed one, tipi style and some may consider building a fire inside.... But of course with some inherent risk. But you don't want to build a fire, so the later is a mute point.

Images

Am interested in other habitual candle user replys. Ditched the candle lantern on first ldh. But often consider carrying an emergency candle... very multi use.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've heard the light can cut down on mouse activity and so I too like to bring my UCO lantern when I'm staying in a shelter. I've got a string attached to it and hang it from the rafters out of the way.
    What do other hikers in the shelter think about a candle burning all night?

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    It wouldn't bother me, they really don't put out much light and what's there is quite soft. But I don't stay in shelters any more.

Wouldn't bother me one bit either.

It would make a little light to show me how to get out in the middle of the night and not step on anybody, when I have to pee!

Images

Too many variables with placement, but on average seems in moist clime , most or many at least,wouldn't consider much different than fires or beds of red hot coals
    Next to or inside the shelter.
    Hikers often are drawn to shelters like moths to a shelter fire, and more than one occasion I've seen fire fighter buddy groups (with cutting tools) start the warmth giving goodness. And believe it or not, the first time one used a candle to start the fire expediently. Helping a few of us on the brink of hypothermia.

Back in the day...we use to waterproof our canvas tents with wax dissolved in kerosene and then sprayed onto the canvas. No candles or flames inside or near the tents ever.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerfixit View Post
    Back in the day...we use to waterproof our canvas tents with wax dissolved in kerosene and then sprayed onto the canvas. No candles or flames inside or near the tents ever.
    That's how we treated most of our canvas tipis in the 60's, except we added many flames inside.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I think the first consideration to start with is what type of tent and what material is it constructed from? Many older materials were treated with a fire resistant coating. However to my knowledge the silnylon used in many modern UL tents like my Tarptent can't be treated with fire resistant coating and are highly flammable. Not sure how Dyneema/Cuban fiber fares in this regard.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In a proper candle lantern they're just fine. However I'd yell at anyone I saw burning a bare candle in a shelter, as much because of the huge and long lasting mess that the melted wax makes as because of potential fire danger.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++