WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pinhoti section suggestions requested

Hello folks, hope all are well.
    I have suffered some major broken bones and torn ligaments from the waist down to the lower hips so I haven't done any hiking and very little camping for the last couple of years. I have a canoe trip planned for the coming weekend and while going through my gear while planning what to use on the trip I got to thinking about doing a couple of days close to home and since I live in N.W. Fl the Pinhoti came to mind. I have always wanted to hike it and actually had a trip planned for it a few years ago and at the last minute everything fell apart.
    If anyone has suggestions for a section in S. Al with no road walking that would be in the moderate range of difficulty it would be much appreciated. I will say upfront I don't think I am steady enough at this point for anything like the rock garden, hills are o.k. but a loose rock might take me out, I am low tech and probably the last person in a first world country to not have a cell phone and I don't want to look like the lady on the first alert commercial, LOL.
    As mentioned above I am low tech so the more detailed the better, I don't have a phone and don't hike with gps so road names / numbers anything specific would be greatly appreciated and also any paper map resources that you have used and like.

Many Thanks.
    Creek

Images

I've done section 4 from Porters Gap to Bull Gap, its a good section with great views, not a lot of up and down once you get up to what is mostly a ridgewalk. I do recall a section of a mile or so of rock, primarily where it parallels the road and at one point we lost the trail in the leaves and ended up on a road walk, which we figured just as well. That was a minor thing for the entirety of the hike.

I've also done half of section 6 from the Cinnabee trail to Adams Gap. The Stairway to Heaven part is very big rocky, not small loose rock but a bit of a rocky scramble. I did it going down and was a very tricky down. Up would be less tricky, but dang, that would be a big climb, though its not really very long. I'd do this section from the Cheaha trailhead south to Adams Gap.

You might like to do the Skyway loop which is what I did that incorporates that section of Pinhoti with the Skyway Trail and the Cinnabee Silent trail, the latter being a joy of a trail. Skyway is all up and down bumps. And the section of Pinhoti has some great views and is mostly very easy once you get up to the ridgewalk section. All in all, incorporates 3 distinctly different trails and made for a great 2 night trip. I finished in one night and doubled back to stay at the falls for the second.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Only portion I have done so far is from its northern terminus south to the OHV parking 30 miles south. Great section though with minimal road walking
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The rock garden is between Porter Gap and Clairmont Gap. Stairway to Heaven is in Cheaha SP. That leaves Bulls Gap to Porters Gap at 16 miles as the longest stretch that meets your criteria (I think). Great section!

There is a map of the Pinhoti going through the Talladega NF:
    Pinhoti Trail (Talladega National Forest) Complete Map https://a.co/d/coxWmNN

You could also print off the free AL guide provided by the Pinhoti Trail Alliance: http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/...t-guides..html
    Use tabs on the left to navigate to different sections.

Much appreciated !! I will check these out. Bulls Gap to Porters Gap sounds likely and at my current rate of travel would be a 2 and a half or maybe even 3 day trip for me. I will be solo, my regular hiking partner would knee crawl to keep from leaving me but I don't want to subject him to that. My wife would be a good partner but RA has taken her to the point were she can't walk any distance anymore. I may not be able to either but I want to find out. I actually live within a mile of the FT but I got enough of walking in water hunting so I only walk one section near me and it stays high and dry.
    Thanks again, it is sincerely appreciated.
    Creek.

Beware - Bull to Porters is dry most of the way. Could maybe leave water in caches along the road but no idea if that "road" is driveable. Wouldn't want to carry that many days worth of water.

Given your needs, you might be better off trying something north of I-20 and south of the Duggar Mtn section. It's flattish, not as rocky and has reliable water often and you aren't paralleling a road the whole time.

My 2 cents.

++ New Posts ++