WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Quilt for NH to Maine around June 15 to July 15

I will be flip flopping from Harper's Ferry North starting April 19. I expect to be in NH mid June. What temperature rated quilt should I plan to carry? 20, 30 or 40 degree? I will have an upper and lower thermal type layer.

The NE mountains can be fickle anytime, but especially late Spring. I usually carry 30° top and bottom quilts that time of year to be sure. Better too much than too little. Have a good hike!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I am a sleeping bag person. I used a Western Mountaineering HighLite 35*.

It has snowed on Mt Washington every month of the year. Someone died of hypothermia near Washington this past summer in June. The huts post very accurate forecasts every morning that every hiker can look at for free. If you are willing to zero or drop down the ridge for that rare time when cold weather is predicted to go through you can get away with less gear.

This is a timely question. I'll be in Northern New England this summer and will be looking for a new sleeping bag or quilt. I'm inclined towards a 30 degree down quilt (long-wide) with a foot section sewn closed.

++ New Posts ++