WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Katahdin BeFree

Default Katahdin BeFree

So I purchased my BeFree at mile 150 on the PCT. It worked beautifully, full flow, ease of use, just as advertised. I completed my hike at Kennedy Meadows South, mile 704. BeFree was still working well, no problems, but not flowing as nicely. I get home, go to use the filter a few weeks later on a 4 day hike & it’s completely ineffective. So, I read, I watch You Tube, and try all the remedies to unplug the filter. Nothing. I mean it won’t flow at all. I hate to spend for a new filter, and can’t believe mine is totally shot, yet.

What did I do? What can I do? Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, found any solutions? It’s a great product, and I should have a ton of life left on mine. What am I missing?

Thanks for all the good input and advice…..
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I put mine in a glass of water to soak overnight right before I leave for a trip. It has always worked for me. If you are trying to get rid of any mineral build up, use white vinegar.

Excellent. I’ll try it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Excellent. I’ll try it. Thank you.
    Add a capful or so of white vinegar to the water soak to break up mineral deposits will also helps get the flow moving again.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I think there is a smaller lifecycle on these and Sawyer Squeeze filters. It’s more of a consumable. Now you’ll set your expectations lower and won’t be (as) surprised.

Chknfngrs 100%. I treat it as a one hike consumable whether I use it for two days or multiple weeks. When you let it dry out it’s done.

Default Spot on Crossbar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    Chknfngrs 100%. I treat it as a one hike consumable whether I use it for two days or multiple weeks. When you let it dry out it’s done.
    Many filters of varyiing names later, trying every known angle toward re-using, I found this absolute. I have never been able to reuse a filter once it is dried out. Others have, just not me. The worst ever-BeFree. Best ever-PUR/Katadyn Hiker Pump, over and over again with NO loss of performance.

So, after my all day soak in water with distilled white vinegar, I gave it a good shake, and walla…. I have a decent flow. Not 100%, but definitely 75%+, which beats what I did have ( no flow).

Next hike is in 6 weeks, so I’ll definitely play with it, soak it, try it out for a few continuous days before, and hopefully be back in business.

Now, if anyone has a good suggestion for storage when not in use, that would be helpful. Thanks all!

I use Aquamira as my primary treatment and carry the Be-Free for the times all I can find is a mud puddle. The only way I've found to make the Be-Free survive between trips is to do the vinegar wash ritual (with distilled water) when I get home from a trip before it ever dries out. I can then, maybe, get another trip out of it but at a noticeable flow reduction. Another trick I've done is to just not let it dry out if you know you might be going on another trip a couple weeks later. I'll do the vinegar thing and then mix up an Aquamira batch of water. Run that through it and stick it in a ziplock. I hate storing something wet like that though...

++ New Posts ++