WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2023- "Don't do this on the trail" list???

Common sense list of things we tend to forget or take for granted...

Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post
    Common sense list of things we tend to forget or take for granted...
    most wannabe thru-hikers tend to forget to get into some sort of shape before attempting a thru hike.

Images

Don't set up your tent inside a shelter.
    It's all good in the woods.

Learn how to dig a proper cat hole, use it properly, and cover it properly. Getting a bit raw out there with the TP blossoms critters dig up or people just drop.

Don't assume everyone (or anyone, for that matter) really wants to hear about how many miles you hiked today or how much your pack weighs.

Don't go out of your way to try to make yourself a part of somebody else's hike.

I had to lose someone in NJ, not a thru hiker but just didn't get the picture that I wanted to hike alone, was about to just tell him. Next day he saw me packing out super early then started and was like "I'll catch up" or something. I hiked 5-10 minutes then cut off for an unnoticed break, I heard him hike past and I know he was hustling to catch up. I took over an hour break and took my sweet time all day taking pictures/breaks ect. and ended early - knowing he was pushing miles trying to catch me. It was almost a little weird the way he was trying to tag along, especially when I was much slower then him and even slowed down trying to lose him but he just kept waiting for me. I do think that he was just looking to tag along but I had an odd feeling there to and was happy to lose him without telling him flat out.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

pack it in, pack it out. Tired of seeing trash out there

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Addendum

Also, don't assume anyone wants to hear how great your gear is. If they ask about it, fine -- but otherwise, just use it.

I had one guy ask me if I wanted to hear about his cooking gear, to which I responded (quite truthfully), "I have no interest whatsoever." He then proceeded to tell me about his cooking gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Learn how to dig a proper cat hole, use it properly, and cover it properly. Getting a bit raw out there with the TP blossoms critters dig up or people just drop.
    right? I don't know which is worse - starting earlier in the season and people who fail "because the grounds still frozen" or starting later in the season after hundreds have **** in the woods improperly.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    .... I had to lose someone in NJ, not a thru hiker but just didn't get the picture that I wanted to hike alone, was about to just tell him. Next day he saw me packing out super early then started and was like "I'll catch up" or something. I hiked 5-10 minutes then cut off for an unnoticed break, I heard him hike past and I know he was hustling to catch up. I took over an hour break and took my sweet time all day taking pictures/breaks ect. and ended early - knowing he was pushing miles trying to catch me. It was almost a little weird the way he was trying to tag along, especially when I was much slower then him and even slowed down trying to lose him but he just kept waiting for me. I do think that he was just looking to tag along but I had an odd feeling there to and was happy to lose him without telling him flat out.
    I have come to call the process of escaping this type of individual a "Mary Ellen" after the character in Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" tale. Some people just can't take subtle hints and require a more concerted effort to put miles between them and me. I find feigning illness works pretty well, few people want to stick around for a rip roaring norovirus infection.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    right? I don't know which is worse - starting earlier in the season and people who fail "because the grounds still frozen" or starting later in the season after hundreds have **** in the woods improperly.
    Just realized this might be one of the (many) good reasons to go SOBO. By the time I got down south, where I think this is more of an issue, much of the matter has been cleared to some degree by summer rain.

For all the various problems of modern life, don’t forget to appreciate how fortunate we are to live in a time with good, light weight gear, and to be on a trail that was nurtured and continues to be nurtured by so many folk. Even when you’re cursing the route choice.

Keep toenails clipped to avoid the painful subungual hematoma and losing the nail.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    DO Keep toenails clipped...
    DON'T clip toenails in shelters.

I don't want to hear your playlist ..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Also, don't assume anyone wants to hear how great your gear is. If they ask about it, fine -- but otherwise, just use it.

I had one guy ask me if I wanted to hear about his cooking gear, to which I responded (quite truthfully), "I have no interest whatsoever." He then proceeded to tell me about his cooking gear.
    I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut it was titanium.....all the pros use that stuff.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Don't set up your tent inside a shelter.
    ...in any weather short of a full-blown blizzard or hurricane with nobody else there, in which case you should have gotten off the trail at the last town crossing.

If you insist on using a "stealth site", practice Leave No Trace. No fire rings no rock rearrangement, no wood piles. Ideally walk in the woods until you are out of site of the trail.

Assume every hiker wants to be sniffed by your dog just because they're friendly (for the record I don't usually mind) - some hikers are afraid of dogs

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkinghigher View Post
    Assume every hiker wants to be sniffed by your dog just because they're friendly (for the record I don't usually mind) - some hikers are afraid of dogs
    I don't mind getting sniffed, but I do mind having my pack or leg getting peed on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++