WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Campfires and solitude?

Pardon me if this is the wrong section, still trying to learn forum etiquette...
    I've been hiking private properties, state parks and national parks since I was a teenager. Weather and nature I'm used to. Running into people, in my experience, on trails has never been an issue. It's usually just a courtesy exchange while walking past.
    I've never dealt with "community" shelters.
    I don't want to socialize or sit around the campfire and sing "kumbaya".
    Don't get me wrong, I'm respectful by nature, I'm from the South my first word were "Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir". And I'm tolerant of people who just need to speak, to a point.
    But if I end up in a camping spot and I pick the furthest corner and get set up and start a campfire, do I have to share it?
    I know it's a free country, I don't own any of it.
    But I'm out there to get away from the world and society, to "hike my own hike".
    Social Convention is not on my list !

Thanks!

You should be aware of the camping and fire regulations are in the State or National Forest you are in. For example, in CT open camp fires are banned (except State Parks where fire rings are present). "Stealth" camping outside of posted shelter and camping areas is not allowed over a lot of the trail itself and frankly is a great way to get the trail easement closed, forcing the AT to a road walk. Some camping areas along the trail allow an open fire and may have a fire pit for a communal campfire. When staying at a camping area with others and there is a fire pit, I will usually pay a visit to be neighborly, but once the manners have been observed, like you, I prefer my space and try to be as inconspicuous as possible when others are around.

However, perhaps more to your point, fire attracts people. You can choose to welcome them to your fire for a few minutes or shooing them away. If solitude is what you are after, I would use a passive approach of screening the fire from direct line of sight using a tent or "laundry line" with a few things hanging from it to shield the fire itself from public view, though that gets more difficult as night progresses and flickering reflections can draw attention. A shielded fire typically means "no company, thank you" and generally dissuades most folks from visiting for any length of time.

Thanks Traveler, that's what I kind of figured.
    Didn't want to be the crotchety old man on the trail, just want to enjoy myself as much as possible.
    Appreciate it!
    Stay safe

When I stop to camp someplace that’s already occupied, which is rare, the first thing I do is approach just to say hello, exchange pleasantries, and “feel them out”. If they happen to have a fire going and invite me to join, I will usually come eat with them and chat by the fire after I set up. If they don’t explicitly invite me, that’s usually the last I speak to them.

Someone did an analysis of hiker population personality some time ago, and the majority are introverts. Fires are sometimes made for heat/cooking, but most hikers are working hard enough during the day that they hit the sack early. The problem is sometimes local people who head to the AT with kids, dogs, and ice chests for a "campout", generally at a shelter. All bets are off then, it can be bad with loud noise, bad behavior, and extreme pyromania. Good reason to have a tent for camping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    When I stop to camp someplace that’s already occupied, which is rare...
    One thing I love about the AT is the sheer number of decent places to camp. And this is flat spots with fire rings along the trail, not just plentiful trees anywhere for hanging a hammock. The latter doesn't come with fire rings, which works for me as I don't do fires anymore, but it does work for privacy.

But a lot of folks don't want to camp alone, and so you may find yourself with someone wanting to camp nearby at those mostly limited sites. Most keep to themselves, but I would bet they would want to share your fire. Might do better at a shelter where you camp at what is typically one of the overflow campsites around the shelter off to yourself. Most gathering occurs at the shelter and typically includes a big fire to gather around. Not always for sure, but a lot of the time. If you were off at a nearby campsite, most folks at the shelter would expect if you wanted company that you would come around the shelter, and therefore, would presume you don't want company if you're not. Talking off in the woods around the shelter, not like close enough you would be in plain view of the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    ...Fires are sometimes made for heat/cooking, but most hikers are working hard enough during the day that they hit the sack early...
    I don't do fires anymore. Started with the smell of smoke in my clothing, but then I started to notice these many campsites around with fire rings and what I noticed was not only how picked over the site was for potential firewood, but how many of the young trees were damaged as a result of not having firewood and attempting to find some. Not to mention the older trees that don't appear to be in great health. I think we should all think about not doing fires when we camp, but of course, HYOH.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I was at a MATC training session last week and found out that the prior "camping at designated campsites only in Maine" that used to be posted for years at road crossings in Maine no longer applies. Dispersed camping is legal unless posted otherwise. Just as important, the only campfires legally allowed in Maine are at campsite/shelter fire rings. They have to be permitted every year with the state. Any fire along the AT in Maine not in designated fire ring is not legal. Therefore its okay to dsipersed camp but no fire. This is contrary to my experience that many bootleg sites have fire rings. We were told if we encouter then to remove them despite the futility in it.

Journal Entries
    Images

On a long distant trail when you come to an established "community" site, the site and fire is yours as well and most know this. If you want seclusions, hike on, off trail to find a personal space and leave it better than your have found it, do not have a fire if "ring" is there. If you choose to come into someone else's fire, it's always courteous to scour and add some wood to the fire.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I was always taught you don't enter someone else's campsite without permission. If the fore is small a d in the immediate vicinity of your campsite, I would consider it impolite to just drop in. Of course others may not share that ethic. You could drop a hint by telling an interloper you are putting out the fire and going to bed soon, and hope they get the hint.

Regarding the AT: If there isn't a fire ring at your campsite, please don't make one. As a trail maintainer, one of the tasks is to disassemble extra fire rings. Building an extra fire is counter to the quest to Leave No Trace.

So, you can join an already-in-use fire, or you can do without one....

Quote Originally Posted by lkmi View Post
    Regarding the AT: If there isn't a fire ring at your campsite, please don't make one. As a trail maintainer, one of the tasks is to disassemble extra fire rings. Building an extra fire is counter to the quest to Leave No Trace.

So, you can join an already-in-use fire, or you can do without one....
    Great point. The AT corridor, for all its beauty, is not a frontier wilderness. A lot of unseen effort goes into keeping it up. Pay back that work with some consideration. And for Pete’s sake don’t try to dispose of you trash by burning, unless you’re going to dig out the unburnt bits next morning.

At a practical level, I found I was too tired to enjoy a fire most evenings. Although one breakfast fire after a rainy day previous did result in some delightfully dry shoes and socks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    On a long distant trail when you come to an established "community" site, the site and fire is yours as well and most know this. If you want seclusions, hike on, off trail to find a personal space and leave it better than your have found it, do not have a fire if "ring" is there. If you choose to come into someone else's fire, it's always courteous to scour and add some wood to the fire.
    Sorry I meant to say Do not have a fire if a rings is NOT currently there
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Wow! Thanks everyone! Still shocked to the wealth of knowledge here.
    I really appreciate everyone's time and insight.
    Helps me evaluate my goals and expectations for the AT!

Stay Safe!

My experience in GA and NC is that the social people will hang out at the shelter and share the fire and whatever else they all do over there. Me and my small group will tent relatively nearby, but far enough away that nobody has ever bothered us when we make a fire (in the already existing fire pit, of course). However, I've never done that alone and I suspect that loners may attract more visitors than small groups. I could be wrong. But at any rate, the social people seem to stick together and politely leave us introverts alone.

Simple solution. If you don't want company don't start a fire.

Images

My experience is that most people that start campfires on the AT do it because they got to camp early and were looking for something to do rather than because they actually needed a campfire.
    It's all good in the woods.

I would discourage fires, even when allowed, except in an existing fire ring. Fires draw attention, as others have said, so be ready for that. Many shelters have established fire rings or even a fireplace in some cases. If the scene at a shelter is not to your taste, you can stop and chat, maybe make a meal, and then move on to camp with more solitude. Between snoring, conversations, late arrivals, and early departures, I find it can be difficult to get the rest I want in a shelter during thru hiker season.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Agree on no fires... a lot of time and energy better spent pitching tent or tarp and getting dinner ready. As for wood, there's always some blowdown after winter but it's usually collected and burned very quickly in the spring.

An advantage of hammocks is that you don't need a nice, clear patch as you would for a tent, so you can camp farther from the shelter, or nowhere near the shelter, in areas where dispersed camping is permitted. "Don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to the S word (stealth)

I completely understand. I have a friend that I sometimes backpack with that he hikes for the solitude for sure. The places we have gone it is very typical for each camp to have a small fire. I have personally have been to places that have rules that state fires are only allowed in the one designated fire ring.

One solution I found is a little solo stove. there are other small wood burning stoves too. Basically it's like a fire ring the size of a large coffee mug. You can have your own personal fire. It won't be big enough to heat or dry anything, but you can relax by a fire, hear the wood popping, and cook on it. People will usually be intrigued by your gear, but when they see you huddled around such a small fire I don't think they will stay long. lol.

I'm not a fan of campfires on my backpacking trips---I'm too lazy to gather wood and tend a fire; don't like hot embers hitting my clothing layers; real paranoid about leaving hot (or cold) coals when I shove off; never have the extra water needed to smother it when leaving---but I do on occasion burn my trash and whatever books I am reading thruout the trip.

But you bring up an important point of Camping Spots and the First Dibs Rule---whether you have a fire or not. And this applies to both regular backpacking trips to wilderness areas or to the AT. Some CSs are large and anyone can come in and camp nearby---you don't have First Dibs. But for most tent sites the First Dibs Rule applies---i.e. I was here first so don't horn in on me and move on to the next CS you can find. It's common decency and a respect for privacy in the backcountry.

One time I was camping on Slickrock Creek at a small spot with a single fire ring when two backpacking girls came thru and wanted my spot and demanded to set up camp right next to me. I told them politely but sternly that the spot is taken by me and they needed to move on---and told them there's several spots further upcreek. 99% of the time you never have to explain this to people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++