WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question trail head parking at the northern terminus of the Connecticut border

I am looking for information regarding trail head parking at or near the Connecticut/ Massachusetts border? I see that there is a trail that takes you east to the main road, but do not see information about a place to park.

If your talking about the Paradise Lane/Undermountain Trail loop then yes there is a pretty big parking area where the trail comes out on Route 41, also a camping area a little over a mile from the road. I'd say at least 10-15 cars could fit from what I can remember and I have parked overnight.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

What about a parking area off of Mount Washington Road, just below the border of CT/Mass

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Some assitance

Here's info on parking near the MA-CT border (note that his URL does all mileage from north to south):
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=128
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

Here's a couple maps to give the general layout of the area:
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/sho...?i=64174&c=522
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/sho...?i=64175&c=522
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 03-06-2023 at 18:42. Reason: New map

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Soulman77 View Post
    What about a parking area off of Mount Washington Road, just below the border of CT/Mass
    I've parked at, and reached the A.T. from, both areas. The parking area on Highway 41 is much easier to drive to, but the trail from there to the A.T. is more difficult to hike. Take your pick: easy driving to a trail head, or easy hiking to The Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    I've parked at, and reached the A.T. from, both areas. The parking area on Highway 41 is much easier to drive to, but the trail from there to the A.T. is more difficult to hike. Take your pick: easy driving to a trail head, or easy hiking to The Trail.
    I also seem to remember that the parking on Mt. Washington Road is smaller (though there were a couple spots, not all just one lot like 41), and also that the road can be closed from the CT side during colder seasons (not being sure when this person is looking to do such a hike). Additionally, on the 41 side, if there weren't space in that lot, there are a couple other places with trails that also access the AT, though not right at the border, but as alternative options.

The Rt 41 access parking and access trail starts are probably the easiest to use, there is parking south of Lions Head right on the AT, a little further north is the Undermountain trail access, and further north still is the Race Brook Falls trail access.

As an option, you may want to consider parking on East St a few miles south of the Mt. Washington Town Hall and the East/West street merge. The road is unimproved (gravel) but usually well maintained. You should be able to park at the Round Mountain/Bear Mountain access trails parking and leave a car there. This would allow either a southbound hike start, or a northbound hike completion as the parking access trail touches the MA/CT line heading down to or coming up from the AT.

Mount Washington Road from the CT side is a rugged, narrow dirt road usually closed to traffic until May. From the MA side it is better but still a fairly narrow dirt road. The section in MA from the CT border North is spectacular and adds about 10 miles. There is parking and a spring on Jug End Road. There are also two shelters in that section.

++ New Posts ++