WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Section hike - low temps to expect?

I am hiking with a group from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs this week. It looks like the temps are going to be lows in the 40s, but I suspect they may be lower in the mountains. I have a lightweight down bag, but it is only rated to 45 degrees. I have a coolmax liner that allegedly adds 8 degrees, so that would get me down to 37 degrees. I will be staying in a MSR Hubba, which is small but drafty if the wind is up.

So my question is what should I take: the down bag with is rated to 45 degrees or the synthetic (heavier) bag rated down to zero? I'm thinking I can sleep in long johns if needed and save on the weight of the bag (not to mention it is 3-4x larger than the down bag, even compressed.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

I took the 0 degree bag, and very thankful I did. It was synthetic, and the bag got wet on Friday night from a leaky tent I was sharing with a buddy. Then on Sunday morning it was 26 degrees at Brown Gap and all the raid had frozen (as would I have if I had been in a 45 degree wet down bag).

We got rained and blown around a good bit on Friday night, and rained and hailed on Saturday hiking into Brown Gap. Most everyone gear was wet - mine only slightly damp.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

++ New Posts ++