WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Daicey Pond Campground Closing in 2024

https://www.friendsofbaxter.org/news...d-closure-2024

For AT historians, the AT used go through Daicey Pond Campground and one of the cabins was designated for thru hikers. For many folks it was the first major up close and personal view of the west side of the mountain from the dock. Daicey is normally a very quiet campground and at some point, the park decided that increased thruhiker use was not compatible with the other users at the campground and the AT was relocated around the campground down the hill a bit and the Birches was established for thruhikers. I expect more than a few modern thruhikers have dope slapped themselves for not taking the short walk up the road to get the view at the Pond. Due to the alignment of the pond on a calm day the west side of the mountain reflects like a mirror on the pond. It is also hard to beat the sunsets on the side of the mountain. The old AT route is still there so for those that aren't a slave to the white blazes, they can convert a woods walk with no views to a walk with a view very easily with little or no extra mileage

On occasion folks with reservations will leave early or there will be an odd night open. For anyone heading to the park its always worth spending a few seconds checking to see if a cabin is open. The fee is for the entire cabin so its best done for several folks. BTW, there is large library building with a deck and old-fashioned rocking chairs right on the pond that is open to anyone who wants to visit. The Birches is a pretty boring place to spend a day so those heading in the park early (inevitable if you get there early enough to grab a spot at the Park Entrance), its a nice place to spend a few hours before heading over to the Birches.

Will this area and old trail route still remain open and walkable when the campground closes?

When I hike local I'm all about wondering where the trails used to go and exploring that where allowed. I stayed in the Birches on 10/17, had to turn around when I got above tree line on 10/18 but I was able to rent a shelter that night. I summited the 19th and actually was able to buy a spot at the campground that night. I got picked up on the 22nd but for the next few days I camped on the AT, hiking in and out of Baxter exploring different trails each day. They were all spectacular to, honestly. Anyway, I don't remember visiting Daicey Pond but would have loved to. Next time I will pay better attention to everything.

-Actually looking at a map, I definitely did do the Lost Pond Trail and took it around Daicey, I don't recall a cabin but it looks like the AT goes right by it (Niagras Trail) and looks like the AT is actually in between the pond and cabin. I'm trying to look at the map and see where the old AT route is and I don't see it - unless it used to go north on that road then back south east to Katahdin Stream where the AT now takes the Grassy Pond Trail? ... actually it looks like the AT goes right over the north shore of Daicey Pond. I'm looking at my National Geo maps.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Sorry to double post. The map says 10 cabins, I think I remember one going around the pond, haven't even got to the end of my thru hike pictures yet... Now I'm thinking the old AT route was along the south of the Daicey Pond and the south of Grassy Pond then directly up the Hunt Trail (?)

That whole area was really beautiful and a treat staying the few extra days. I also did the Blueberry Ledges and Abol Pond/Stream Trail. I remember Quite a few more views of the mountain.
    NoDoz
    -

According to a 1964 AT guide to Maine I had nearby, the AT went up the access road to the Daicey Pond Campground (at that time Twin Pine Camps), and then followed the shore Clockwise to the north shore of the pond. Interesting it looks like the route in 1964 is the route of the relocation they put in place about 6 years ago to avoid the road walk prior to Katahdin stream. The relocation around the Daicey Pond campground put in place about 25 years ago (plus or minus) starts at a lower elevation at the intersection of the access road to the campground and the Niagara Falls trail (the AT). The AT then heads northeast slabbing up a grade until it pops out past the campground. Here is map of the area from the website. The AT relocation is just under the "D" of Daicey. The former AT around the NW quadrant and outlet brook of the pond is not shown. https://baxterstatepark.org/wp-conte...y_4apr2017.pdf

The linked article indicates that campground will be open for day use. BSP has canoes available to rent at Daicey and most other ponds and its worth a paddle. My guess is the road up to the campground will be closed except to BSP vehicles as its definitely only wide enough for one vehicle and parking is very tight at the actual campground.

The plan is to block the AT intersection, where the old AT heads into the campground, so no change to the current AT route. The road past the little day use lot will be closed to the public, probably with just additional signage as only campers are allowed up anyway. The nature trail around the pond will close. The privy at the lot will stay open. The library will be closed to the public. There's been a suggestion that the day-use lot be added to the DUPR program.
    Who will be doing the work? That's an interesting question, that the entire project may hinge on.
    With no Park Director in place, I (personal opinion) have doubts this will go forward as proposed.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Any particular reason the nature trail will close, trail conditions or less traffic ect? Always sad to see trails go, I can't recall it at all without looking back at pictures but surely a nice loop around the pond and a nice shorter loop option for families or people visiting not looking to climb the mountains but explore the park a little. Maybe they want to prevent that extra loop traffic near the AT?
    NoDoz
    -

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Any particular reason the nature trail will close, trail conditions or less traffic ect?
    I think just the bit between the campground and the Lost Pond trail. Runs right behind cabins.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Temporary Closure Only

The campground and other areas are only closing for the 2024 season during which time repairs to the cabins will be made. It will reopen for the 2025 season.

++ New Posts ++