WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Overnight Vehicle parking

Doing a short section hike and need to park my vehicle overnight at the new river crossing in Pearisburg, VA. Any recommendations on a safe spot to leave my vehicle overnight?

That is a very good question. I would suggest that you approach owners/managers of nearby businesses asking if they have a policy on this. Definitely plan to pay. not much but enough to make the property owner more comfortable if that is an issue. As the owner of a field by my home close to the AT, I have loosely accepted the responsibility of watching over a hiker's vehicle but also insisted on holding its keys in case the vehicle needs to be able to be moved while the driver is absent. Why? In case of an approaching wildfire, for instance. No problems ever.

Journal Entries
    Images

I’ve leveraged Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven when in that area. Nice hostel with slack, shuttle, and parking options.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Left my car at the Pearis Cemetery Parking lot off Route 100 (Narrow Rd) for two nights October 2022. No problems.

I have not had any problems, but it has been several years since I was in the area. Before leaving my car at a location, I look on the ground for glass from broken windows. Also, fresh cans of beer laying around are signs locals like to hang out there. It gives me an idea of places to avoid before leaving my car.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I’ve leveraged Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven when in that area. Nice hostel with slack, shuttle, and parking options.
    Angels Rest is the best option here. I also have left a car overnight at the Farm Bureau parking lot south of the bridge crossing the New River.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
    Left my car at the Pearis Cemetery Parking lot off Route 100 (Narrow Rd) for two nights October 2022. No problems.
    Good way to end up with a dead battery.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Angels Rest is the best option here. I also have left a car overnight at the Farm Bureau parking lot south of the bridge crossing the New River.
    I feel exactly the same. I've used the Farm Bureau lot without issue. It's at a business, fronts a busy road, so I think this minimizes theft. But if Angels Rest is an option, then use it and not have to worry about your car.
    It is what it is.

Great tips, Wolf. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Good way to end up with a dead battery.
    Why would the battery be dead?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Why would the battery be dead?
    Maybe one of those "odd" sites where the spirits are sucking the power out of the battery? There have been reports of things like that (not that they are 100% true or not).

++ New Posts ++