WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent stakes FTW

since you have to book a reservation theoretically there will be space waiting for you at the shelters. I suppose some scofflaws could be on the trail, but my experience in Smokies was many fewer people show up at the shelters than were booked. I know you're asking about tent stakes for which I am no help except to ask why bring a tent at all if you don't have to?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I’m a fan of BigSky International Tubesteak: https://bigskyinternational.com/coll...-stake-peg-kit
    I think I've got around eight or ten different types of tent stakes. Hands down, the BS Tube Steaks are my favorite.

MSR Groundhog heads break far too easily, it's about impossible to break the Tube Steak.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    since you have to book a reservation theoretically there will be space waiting for you at the shelters. I suppose some scofflaws could be on the trail, but my experience in Smokies was many fewer people show up at the shelters than were booked. I know you're asking about tent stakes for which I am no help except to ask why bring a tent at all if you don't have to?
    Because not taking a shelter is a significant failure in preparation?

Well since your opening post said you were doing RAGBRAI the stakes do not have to be very robust. Nearly everywhere you camp will be a flat space with grass so you are not fighting rocks and roots.

And I would never rely only on a shelter, at least carry a tarp or poncho for impromptu emergency use.

camp BonTon.JPG

Another vote for gutter spikes, at least as far as camping. They can be a bit sharp so I carry them in a home-made cordura pouch. For backpacking, I could see relying on my J and Y stakes, and their lighter, thinner pouches. But gutter spikes, about $1 each last I checked, are really quite effective.

I use the very nifty Nemo Airpin Ultralight stakes they have a cool tie-down feature and are very light

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++