WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nobo or sobo for pa section hike

Wondering if nobo or sobo is better if section hiking all of pa?

I think I would go NOBO because the southern portion is generally considered easier going than the rock fields of the northern portion and I generally like to ease into a backpacking trip. I also think that the Delaware Water Gap might make for a better finish - I recall a nice ice cream shop in Delaware Water Gap, PA right on the trail that could be s worthy reward after your hike. Hope this helps and make sure to report back after you go to let us know how it went for you!

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...-pennsylvania/
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Definitely NOBO. It's a much better progression of a hike, going from the relatively easy and less rocky southern sections to the more rocky and steeper northern sections as you get your trail legs under you.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Agree with Northbound.

Honestly, I think the 35 miles (from Delaware Water Gap to Lehigh Gap) southbound could be a discouraging start--especially too early in the spring.

Rocks ? Ha ha I never noticed!
    thom

Images

Yeah, I'd agree for most people NOBO is probably easier. Stock up on Ibuprofen when you get to Duncannon, LOL

I ran into one guy in PA who'd done both and said he preferred SOBO, but he was also on pace to complete the entire state in 10 days (23 miles/day).

Going SOBO you really appreciate So PA a lot more.

DWG is a nice reward after PA. You have some decent restaurants, a local roasting company with excellent coffee, a farm stand with home-made pies, the ice cream of course and the inn with live jazz on weekends. In addition direct busses to NYC daily.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

SOBO. The southern section is a much gentler ramble through towns like Duncannon and Boiling Springs (a terrific night-hike if you have good weather, btw.) You'll go through Pine Grove Furnace and Caledonia State Park as well. Going SOBO will provide variety and relief from the endless ridgewalking you have in northern PA, particularly after Duncannon. If you have a few more days you can push through Maryland to Harper's Ferry and end your SOBO hike there.

++ New Posts ++