WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default section hike in 100 mile wilderness

I'll be doing the section from Cooper Brook (Jo-Mary Rd) to Katahdin this summer, 56 miles. I'm looking for intel on what kind of trail conditions to expect and general wisdom from the experts. I booked with Appalachian Trail Hostel & Outfitters who supports slack-packers thru the wilderness.

I'm planning the same exact hike this summer. I have info from: Far Out app, AWOL The A.T.Guide, Maine's Appalachian Trail Guide by Harvey Dennenberg a k a Grandpa Walking, Roselee Explores on You Tube and many others who have their adventures online.

You've picked good support. The AT Lodge is now the AT Hostel and Outfitters, and is now owned by two thrus who've worked there for years. You also picked the "flat" half of the 100.
    You say "to Katahdin" - please know you can not stay at the Birches. It's for NoBos coming in from at least Monson. You'll need a reservation at Katahdin Stream if you want to stay in the Park before climbing Katahdin, and you'd better make that rez as soon as possible.

This may help: The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2023
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

the outfitter handles the permits & nights are spent back at the hostel. I guess I'm wondering how challenging 15 mile days are going to be. How wet/muddy/obstructed is the trail up there? I've done some 15s in the southern 400 miles where it's much more vertical, but the trail is generally free of obstructions. I'm not sure how to gauge this

Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    the outfitter handles the permits & nights are spent back at the hostel. I guess I'm wondering how challenging 15 mile days are going to be. How wet/muddy/obstructed is the trail up there? I've done some 15s in the southern 400 miles where it's much more vertical, but the trail is generally free of obstructions. I'm not sure how to gauge this
    How muddy depends on how much rain there has been during the week or so before, no way to tell before hand.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There are some sections with roots, but all in all it’s a beautiful stroll. Until that slope at the north end.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    the outfitter handles the permits & nights are spent back at the hostel.
    The only permit you need is done in person by you with a BSP ranger the day of your summit.
    You're doing that section as day hikes, with a trip back to Millinocket each night?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I took some miles off the wilderness by getting a ride from Monson to Long Pond Stream, around 17 miles; I hiked back to Monson then next day was driven back to Long Pond Stream to continue by Keith Shaw. Was relatively easy after Whiteface except for the bugs. I did my biggest day in the valley partly because of the unavoidable mosquitos, gnats, no-seeums, black flies, etc.. Time of year and conditions can affect that.

Wait. Section hiking the 100 mile wilderness is a thing? Are there enough access points for in and out?

Yup, Plenty, the 100 MW is not a federally designated wilderness, its mostly industrial and state owned forest with several private logging roads and some older roads that used to cross the trail but were discontinued. And of course Katahdin Air does shuttles via float plane. Head over the Mahoosucs if you want a truly roadless experience. Note some roads require a paid pass to access them. I personally split it into two hikes using an old discontinued logging road accessible from one of the AMC camps almost at the base of Whitecap on the east side. https://www.ericsturgeon.com/blog/wh...le-wilderness/

One thing to keep in mind, there is lot of driving involved with sectioning the 100MW. Shuttles will be quite pricey due to the distances.

yes, nights are spent back at their hostel in Millinocket. There are enough access points to make it work, longest day will be 17 miles from Pollywog Stream to Abol Bridge. I know that stretch is considered "easy" by those hardened souls among us who have spent months snapping off 20 milers, but for me that kind of distance is pushing it. I'd consider the toughest day I've done is NOC to Stecoah Gap

Images

as a section hiker used to southern Appalachian terrain I found the trail less strenuous but it is a bit frustrating at times due to roots and rocks. I am not agile though so someone light on their feet may think nothing of it.

++ New Posts ++