WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Maine – Kennebec River Ferry Temporary Closure

6/20/2023
    The Kennebec River Ferry (NOBO Mile 2043.4) is not running temporarily due to extremely high-water levels on the Kennebec River. Hikers should not attempt to ford the Kennebec River at any time. Dam releases upstream may cause sudden and rapid changes in water depth and current. Hikers should take an alternate route by shuttling around the Kennebec River until the ferry resumes its normal service. Hikers detouring around the Kennebec River will still be eligible for a 2,000-miler certificate.

River and stream crossings elsewhere in the northeast may also be dangerous to ford or impassable. Hikers should exercise extreme caution and come prepared with extra supplies to either turn around, wait until waters recede, or find an alternative route.

We will update this notice when we have more information.

Click link below for updates.
    Maine – Kennebec River Ferry Temporary Closure
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wow, thats a tough and expensive shuttle, no good way to get from Long Falls Dam Road to Caratunk.

Looks like the Maine Huts and Trail option is going to get some traffic. I have not hiked this section but last thing I knew, they had bridges over the Dead River near Grand Falls and then it comes out on RT 201 with bridges over the Dead and Kennebec via road walk.

posted last night by Hostel of Maine:

We're also offering shuttles around the Kennebec, between Caratunk and either East Flagstaff Rd (the northern access to the Bigelows) or Rt27 (Carrabassett/Stratton). Shuttle van holds 11, so the price can be super reasonable when filled, and we're fully insured.

Call 207-237-0088 anytime from 7am to 10pm, or email us at [email protected] for details/coordination!

Stay safe out there and happy trails <3

Not sure how a purist would approach it, MHT is a continuous hike but it skips the "Great Carry" https://arnoldsmarch.org/ https://arnoldsmarch.org/wp-content/...Guide-2021.pdf , which is not so pleasant early in the season when things are wet due to it being prime mosquito territory. The shuttle from Long Falls road leaves an outright gap. Not sure skipping the Bigelow's would be regarded as kosher by any thru hiker.

Is the water that much higher that it will be more then a few days to wait out?

A quick weather search looks like heavy rain this weekend then a lot of moderate rain in the area next week.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

There is some road into Pierce Pond Camp, so shuttle in to there. If you want to be a purist, walk north to the Kennebec and back, it’s not that far. I think skipping the blaze in the bottom of the canoe is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    There is some road into Pierce Pond Camp, so shuttle in to there. If you want to be a purist, walk north to the Kennebec and back, it’s not that far. I think skipping the blaze in the bottom of the canoe is okay.
    So long as I walked onto to the river bank on both sides, I'd be OK with being driven (or driving) across a bridge instead of crossing in the canoe.

I see that the Ferry was expected to reopen today. What are the chances of it closing again?

I'm planning a section from Maine Rt. 17 to Caratunk near the end of the month, and don't want to be looking across the Kennebec River at a car I have no way of getting to.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I see that the Ferry was expected to reopen today. What are the chances of it closing again?

I'm planning a section from Maine Rt. 17 to Caratunk near the end of the month, and don't want to be looking across the Kennebec River at a car I have no way of getting to.
    It could close for safety reason at any time.
    You would have a way to get to your car. You'll shuttle out of Harrison's.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

So Harrison's is the Pierce Pond camp just south of the Kennebec?

Journal Entries
    Images

Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps is 3.6 miles south of the Kennebec River.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Rick and TJ, thank you both!

++ New Posts ++