WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Central Virginia - Craig Creek Bridge closed indefinitely at North Bound mile 689.4

The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests have closed the Craig Creek bridge on the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) for public safety (NOBO mile 689.4; just north of Craig Creek Valley Road/VA Route 621).
    Read more at the following URL:
    Central Virginia – Bridge Closure – Craig Creek Bridge | Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    www.appalachiantrail.org/trail-updates/central-virginia-bridge-closure-craig-creek-bridge/
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I am doing a section hike late September that requires me to cross this now unsafe bridge. How high is the creek under normal water levels? Is it safe to wade either upstream, down stream or at the bridge crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtn Hiker View Post
    I am doing a section hike late September that requires me to cross this now unsafe bridge. How high is the creek under normal water levels? Is it safe to wade either upstream, down stream or at the bridge crossing?
    read the link. it has the info you need
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Thanks One Half, I have read the info. multiple times since yesterday but was hoping to get an opinion from someone who has actually hiked this section and or familiar with the area. I will be crossing this creek about 10 miles into the very first day of the section hike and plan on camping just a few miles north. The detour will add more miles to the day than I want and if that is my only option I may reschedule until next year or whenever bridge is rebuilt or a better option is in place... plus it bypasses about 7 miles of the trail I don't want to miss which I think includes the Audie Murphy monument.

I’ve hiked in that area before and if I recall correctly it’s not that deep but it is wide.

In my opinion you should only have to cancel or postpone or reschedule if in the weeks up to your trip there has been a lot of rain. Otherwise I would assume it’s not bad.

September is usually very dry

Yikes, you had me worried there for a minute. Good thing I decided to start my NOBO LASH at VA620! I'll arrive at Roanoke sleep deprived. The short hike up to Pickle branch is about all I can handle that day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recall it but did not really pay attention when I thru hiked. I don’t know if it is deep, but it is a little wide. I guess it would depend on how much water was in it.

The mileage on the Appalachian Trail between these points is 7.3 miles.
    The mileage for the road walk to get to the same spot is 4.5 miles.
    You will save walking 2.8 miles if you do the road walk.
    The downside is that you will miss the Audie Murphy Monument, if you really want to see it.
    AT Troll (2010)

Well you also miss that 7.3 miles of trail that may include something interesting for some folks other then the monument, and your walking over an hour on the road unless your power walking it. I would say that missing the monument is only a small fraction of the down side (even if there are no real "views"). Personally I'd wait out the creek crossing or postpone and not only to "stay true to the AT" as is common thought. I would do that with any trail cause I'm not out for the easiest/shortest route, I want to be away from it all for as much of my time out as I can, seeing as much nature and spending as much time in the woods as possible.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries
    Images

At the time I was there last fall, the water was slow and there were wadable parts. I’m surprised they closed this one. There is another just North (super close) of it of similar design that was pretty sad…that one was definitely wadable. From the picture on the link, they closed the bigger of the two, not sure why. The road walk is super easy compared to going over the ridge. There is a way to drive up the other side to get a car very close to the monument if you want to see it if you choose the road walk. Here is my video from that hike:
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Well you also miss that 7.3 miles of trail that may include something interesting for some folks other then the monument, and your walking over an hour on the road unless your power walking it. I would say that missing the monument is only a small fraction of the down side (even if there are no real "views"). Personally I'd wait out the creek crossing or postpone and not only to "stay true to the AT" as is common thought. I would do that with any trail cause I'm not out for the easiest/shortest route, I want to be away from it all for as much of my time out as I can, seeing as much nature and spending as much time in the woods as possible.
    I was not saying the road walk was a better option. I was just pointing out what the differences were. Everyone has there own preference and can decide what they want to do.
    Just us your own common sence.
    AT Troll (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    In my opinion you should only have to cancel or postpone or reschedule if in the weeks up to your trip there has been a lot of rain. Otherwise I would assume it’s not bad.
    I’d agree with this. Of course that might not be ideal for planning around work etc. Have a back up section just in case. After all—Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtn Hiker View Post
    Water levels tend to be lower in early fall than at other times of the year. I crossed a creek next to a closed bridge in Vermont in early September a couple of years ago, and it wasn't that hard.

Probably best to check back about a week before your hike to decide on the road walk or the trail. FarOut/Guthook would probably also be useful for recent intelligence.

Thanks for posting video Kaptain.

++ New Posts ++