WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AT hiker trend

The younger generations grew up in technology where mine grew up on the leading edge of technology. We have a 25 year old son so we see it first hand. I also have another hobby (genealogy) where the younger hobbyists (and even wannabe professionals) think if it's not online the record doesn't exist. I started out by actually GOING to repositories. The world, it is a'changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    I just finished a four-day NOBO trip that began at the James River Footbridge in Virginia.

I stayed at Stanimals in Glasgow the night before I set out. Really enjoyed my time there. The Bubble hasn't reached Glasgow yet, but there were perhaps 12-15 backpackers there that night, and 21 the night before.

For an hour, I sat in the living room with four other male backpackers, two young, two older-middle aged. They stared at their phones for at least an hour without saying a word. Twenty years ago, the five of us would've been telling stories, laughing, learning about one another, discussing the trail. These four gents seemed nice and normal for this day and time. I don't have a phone, so I read a book awhile and then wandered into the dining room and sat at a table where a group of younger hikers were doing the old-fashioned thing - sitting and laughing and talking. That was refreshing.

One of the real oddities was that I mentioned Whiteblaze two two young hikers, both females. Both had blank looks. They'd never heard of it! Ten years ago, that would've been an impossibility.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    For an hour, I sat in the living room with four other male backpackers, two young, two older-middle aged. They stared at their phones for at least an hour without saying a word. One of the real oddities was that I mentioned Whiteblaze two two young hikers, both females. Both had black looks. They'd never heard of it! Ten years ago, that would've been an impossibility.
    The four guys were probably texting each other!! In recent years, I have had the same response from most folks I have met on the trail when asking them about Whiteblaze. Very few times have I had anyone recognize what I was talking about. I mostly have quit mentioning it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    I thru-hiked the AT 22 years ago. I was 65 years old and hiking the trail was an experience of my life time.
    After my hike, I became a volunteer caretaker at a AT cabin on Upper Goose Pond in Mass. I did this for 18 years spending many hours talking to hikers about their trip. This interaction with many thru-hikers gave me insight into how the thru-hiker community has changed over the years.
    Most hikers were glad to have a roof to sleep under, spring water to drink and pancakes for breakfast at one of the best overnights on the AT. We only asked for a donation to help cover the costs. Arriving hikers would first ask about cabin accommodations, where the privy's were located and could they swim in the pond. When they left the following morning, they would be so thankful for the stay they had.
    As more and more hikers started to hike with cell phones, I could see the attitude of younger hikers changing. The first question, on arriving, was where they could charge their phone and was cell service available. Some left the cabin when they were told that there was no electricity and cell reception was not good. What seemed to me that were more interested in talking on their phone than enjoying what the AT cabin had to offer.
    Many hikers today, that stop at the cabin, won't take the time to talk about their hike. They spend a lot of time on their phone and are missing a great opportunity to be outdoors enjoying nature. The cell phone has made them a prisoner of modern tech.
    Thanks for your service Grampie!!! I was thankful to sleep on the Upper Goose Porch last November after it had closed for the season, really Neat Place!!

I do also agree that younger hikers tend to be much more drama filled with their phones glued to their hands than us old lolligaggers, but it is cool & enjoyable when you run into a few who are unlike the rest.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Yeah, and OUR (us late 50’s+) parents would have thought how weird it is that we “chat” on bulletin boards. Their parents would have complained about them being on the phone all the time. Their parents would have thought they were wasteful for not writing both vertically and horizontally on a sheet of paper for a letter, as well as front and back.

That’s what I was thinking. With travel getting back to normal, Younger folks want to do something more exciting like go to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulieva View Post
    That’s what I was thinking. With travel getting back to normal, Younger folks want to do something more exciting like go to Europe.
    I love backpacking and love traveling, to Europe among other parts of the world. Quite a stretch to blanketly call traveling to Europe “more exciting”. Think it’s just that there’s more options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++