WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Keeping fuel in food bag?

I have been rethinking what goes in the pockets on the outside of my pack, and I realized I have been keeping my isobutane canister outside my pack due to something I learned in Boy Scouts many decades ago. Now I am not so sure about the wisdom.

The idea is that you should keep your fuel separate from your food in case there is a fuel leak. Granted, we were using white gas when I was told this, which probably has a higher likelihood of spilling (not screwing the cap back on sufficiently).

So right now my stove goes in my food bag, but my fuel canister is kept outside my pack. It seems like it would be easier for me to just store the fuel in my food bag.

What does everyone think? Where do you pack your canister?
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I have been rethinking what goes in the pockets on the outside of my pack, and I realized I have been keeping my isobutane canister outside my pack due to something I learned in Boy Scouts many decades ago. Now I am not so sure about the wisdom.

The idea is that you should keep your fuel separate from your food in case there is a fuel leak. Granted, we were using white gas when I was told this, which probably has a higher likelihood of spilling (not screwing the cap back on sufficiently).

So right now my stove goes in my food bag, but my fuel canister is kept outside my pack. It seems like it would be easier for me to just store the fuel in my food bag.

What does everyone think? Where do you pack your canister?
    I pack it in my pot. I'm nearly certain the pot is designed to accommodate it. White gas I always pack it on the outside in case it leaks, alcohol too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I also keep my fuel canister in my pot. I only use my pot to heat up water so I don't put my stove/pot/fuel in my food bag ever. Not because I'm worried about a leak but because I only put food, toothpaste etc. into my food bag before I hang it.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Journal Entries

I burn alcohol. In camp, when it is not being used the bottle of fuel alcohol usually stays in the plastic bag that also holds my stove and associated cookware. While hiking I instead keep the alcohol fuel bottle in one of my ULA Catalyst pack's voluminous external pockets.
    Last edited by Siestita; 04-08-2023 at 22:02.

i used to put my fuel cannister, pot and stove into my foodbag but one time my hiking partner lost his to a bear.
    not only having to get more food but a new stove and pot as well very costly mistake

Canisters go into the pot, wrapped with a light cloth so it doesn't sound like the Tin Man coming down the trail. White gas cylinder goes in an outside pocket.

++ New Posts ++