Default Any Snoqualmie Pass to Steven Pass Suggestions

I got skunked on the Wonderland Trail lottery so the backup is this 71 mile backpack on the PCT. I got the latest Halfmile data but looking for any additional info. I am also looking for shuttle options from SeaTac. Looks like there are plenty of commercial shuttlesi n the Redmond area but if I can help out someone focused on hikers and have them help me its always a plus. This would be in September after Labor day so presumably a bit less busy.

Looking at the profile its a ridgeline hike in the south end while the north end is in the rain shadow of the higher summits immediately to the west. My thought is plan it both ways and when we fly in look at the 10 day forecast and pick the best weather days for the south end due to potential weather exposure. The Mountaineers Steven Pass lodge sounded like a nice but funky place to stay, but their website lists it as closed due to Covid with no indication of when it will reopen. Halfmile lists it as open to the thru hikers later in the season. Anyone know which is true, we dont need it, just a taste of a west coast AMC hut.

Any particular must stop campsites?. Seems to be a lot of small lakes on the north end. My assumption is that this is section used by horsepackers as there are a few established trail camps. I did a hike years ago south of there (South of Whites Pass) on the PCT and once I got used to walking in dried up horsemanure on occasion I got spoiled by the incredibly well graded trail bed. I used to hiking the rocky trails in the whites so if I know its smoother sailing on the PCT, I can be bit more optimistic on daily miles.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Sorry to side track the conversation a bit, but have you considered doing a walkup for Wonderland?

I got skunked myself 2 years in a row and after getting assurance from the internet crowd that walkups were easy, flew out there week after Labor Day in 2019, slept on the porch at Longmire ranger station and was first in line and got a sweet itinerary. All the folks there that morning got permits too.
    It is what it is.

Interesting idea, I will bring it up with the group.

How do you handle the food. Did you do a cache once you had an itnerary or did you haul it all with you?

Garlic
    Images

I second the walk up. I did it twice, no problem, very helpful rangers. I was living in the area, so I got to pick good weather windows that way. I did it solo, and carried my food for the whole trip, so logistics were a snap. (I do the same at the Grand Canyon almost every year.)

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    How do you handle the food. Did you do a cache once you had an itnerary or did you haul it all with you?
    Once I got my permit, starting at White River, I had the rest of the day to drop my caches. One was right there at Longmire, the other at Mowich Lake. I then stayed the night at one of the drive-in campgrounds in the park.
    It is what it is.

Forgot to add, I recall Longmire opening before the other stations, so I figured that upped my odds a bit. If you decide to walk-up, check the wilderness center hours and go to the one that opens first!
    It is what it is.

Thanks for the help! Not sure if we wiil do it this year but may try it next.

If you can walk 30 miles'/day you can do Wonderland trail in 3 days; helps to have a support car to shuttle gear. That's how I did it...

Regarding Sno to Stevens, we did it in 5 days, found it spectacular and worthwhile. First day up from Sno is most scenic, after kendall catwalk. Ridge is good place to camp if weather is good; great views of Rainier. Then you do a high altitude traverse then down to Spectacle Lake, where a few years ago there were a lot of huge cedar trees all tumbled down across each other, we had to crawl through. No chance of horses there. North of that it's a moderate hike over a few neat passes, and by many lakes. We did it in August and bugs were fierce, at least near lakes. Great blueberry picking the whole way. Enjoy. Overall I would call it a graduate level hike--not so much for beginners.

++ New Posts ++