WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Struggling to find a pad for side sleeping. air pads seem to firm?

I am trying to perfect my sleep system on trail. Ive never really found a comfortable mat for side sleeping so Ive resorted to a cocktail of melatonin, chamomile tea, and ear plugs.

I recently tried a particular inflatable pillow and I never could get the pressure right; to much and it was hard and would hurt my ear, to soft and it would not give me the support I wanted.

The past few trips Ive had sore hips. I just attributed it to age + so so fitness levels. The pillow issue got me thinking, I wonder if I am experiencing the same problem with my air pad? Too much pressure makes it uncomfortably firm, to little and my hip hits the ground? For reference Ive used mostly UL type pads all around 1.5Lbs, NeoAir, EitherLight, and currently S2S UL Insulated. Ive experimented with a foam pad underneath like a Z Lite and also tried a 1/8 foam pad folded in half and place under my hips/torso.

I can't really find a good balance of comfort, size, and practicality. Ive thought about the self inflating type as my next move, and truthfully they seem like the only option aside from the car camping 5Lbs+ monsters.

What are your thoughts? Are the self inflating (foam core) type pads "plush"?

For me, I finally felt comfortable once I got a 2.5 thick pad that was 25 inches wide. The thickness wasn't so important as the width. It just worked better. I would also suggest you try a hammock. Where I live there aren't a lot of trees that work, but if you have trees, hammocks would be worth checking out. Your profile says you're from Ohio. Check out hammocks from an Ohio company, Hammock Gear. They sell complete kits where all the parts work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I would also suggest you try a hammock. Where I live there aren't a lot of trees that work, but if you have trees, hammocks would be worth checking out. Your profile says you're from Ohio. Check out hammocks from an Ohio company, Hammock Gear. They sell complete kits where all the parts work well together.
    Oh yea, that's been a thought for years. Just scared to make the investment... I am already very deep with my entire UL gear. I have worked hard to try a bunch of things and tweak and tweak. Every time I browse a hammock website I get overwhelmed fast; single or double wall, tree straps, cordage, rainfly, under quilts (Id have to carry 2 quilts?), ridgeline organizers....

Hammock Gear is 20min away from me! Ive also considered Dream Hammock (also a Ohio company).

I don't know if Hammock Gear has a "showroom," but it would be worth calling. They do have a lightweight kit. I have one of their regular kits, and have used it a few times and found it very comfortable. Where I live doesn't have a lot of appropriate trees, though, so I have to be careful with taking the hammock. I am totally overwhelmed when I ask a question on the hammock forum, and six people respond, all saying something is an easy fix if you use XXX knot, and some kind of gizmo. That's why I tried the kit. It has the straps and the hammock and the net and the tarp and the top quilt and the bottom quilt and a few other things. It truly is easy. There are no knots, just clips. Slide cord to tighten. The quilts, top and bottom, are really nice, and pretty light. You can get the top quilt in wide, so you can use it on the ground, too. It's been comfortable. My second night, I wasn't expecting it, but the temperature got down to 28*, and I was comfortable with their 20* setup. I even got to pick a pretty color. But, if you don't want to try hammocks, I understand. Have you tried a wider pad, though? I always thought that would just be excess weight, but I really feel more comfortable. Your mileage may vary, but maybe you could test a wide pad in an REI or other gear store.

I have heard of Dream Hammock, but never used any of their gear. They have a good reputation.

What I adore most about backpacking is forgoing comforts of home. I never sleep all night when I’m in the woods anyways, so I’ve grown accustomed to being a little uncomfortable when out hiking. So, what that means is that a closed cell foam pad has won me over, and never have to deal with leakie or cold pads again. I still feel rested and ready to hike the next day and eliminates almost all concerns, as a lifelong side sleeper. Actually much more like a rotisserie chicken, I move a lot. But seriously find that sleep in the woods is different than sleep in my house and expect to have a good rest any way it happens. It’s all relative. Right?

I primarily hammock these days, but still carry a pad for shelters and ground. Try fully inflating the pad, then lay down and slowly release enough air to let your hip settle into the pad without bottoming out. If you go too far, blow it up and try again. You should be able to find a sweet spot that lets you get your spine straightened out at the hips, but still able to roll over without hitting wood.

Dunno about HG's hammocks, but I have given them a fortune over the years for tarps and quilts for the entire family. They do good stuff!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Shug has a vast amount of information concerning hammocks

Lonestranger's advice about adjusting the inflation level is what I would recommend. I'm more of a stomach sleeper but can sleep on my side some too. I usually adjust the pressure on the pad after inflating.

I don't think you will find a self-inflating pad that will be thick enough.

I will relate a possible cause for your sore hips tbut it may not be applicable. I was having a lot of hip trouble in the past several years that long story short was identified as a leg imbalance (possibly arthritis, aging). The PT recommended heel lifts. I generally add these to shoes I wear everyday but I have a pair of heavier hiking boots that I also use when cutting firewood. After using these off and on over the last two weeks, I noticed I had aggravated my hip again. Part of it is the weight of the boots and part of it is I didn't have the heel lift in. There's a possibility you might have a foot/shoe issue.

I also get relief from sore hips by sleeping with a knee pillow, I actually have one that is shaped like a U on top of an upside down U. A small inflatable pillow might be used.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Side sleeper here! Inflating it slightly less helped a lot!

I mostly sleep on my side. I use either a Neoair or an Xtherm pad. I adjust the inflation so that my hip just begins to touch the ground. Also use a small inflatable pillow under my knee and a stuff sack with fleece clothing for my head.

About 0.5 mg of melatonin, 25 mg of benadryl, and an advil or two makes for better sleeping.
    Sometime in my hiking pastime my trail mix has gone from raisins, peanuts, and M&Ms to Advil, Tylenol, and Tums.

Don't forget Imodium!

I'm with chcknfngrs, stating that sleep in the outdoors will hardly ever be as comfy as in the bed back home.
    I'm doing extensive test&training sleeping back home On the terrace, fine tuning my sleep setup.
    At the end I found my Thermarest Prolite plus my personal favorite, doubled with a ccf for winter.

A number of thru-hikers and triple crowners have used Big Agnes despite the extra ounces.
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

Images

Ohio Hiker,

i was born and raised in Fairborn/ Beavercreek!

as for your need of a good sleep pad.......
    i had the same delima due to being fused from neck to butt. it also makes it more frustrating and back sleeping.
    my daughter suggested this one from amazon and i love it!!
    It is called MEETPEAK sleeping pad. It is almost 4 inches thick and is inflatable by stomping with your foot which is great for me when not being able to bend.

$33 it een arrived next day
    ~EVERYTHING YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FEAR~

My expeds have a push pin valve . I can over the flap, push in a rubber pin, and adjust the amount of air in the pad while i'm laying on it.

I dont think the self inflators are more plush, comparing my REI one to either my S2S Etherlight or Thermarest Neoair.

I found the Neoair the most comfortable, and when fully inflated. I’m a side sleeper. Do use a real pillow, not stuff sack with spare clothes. Use my sit pad in between my knees at night.

I do sleep pretty well outdoors.

Best sleep aid to me is long days.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Some options to consider:
    1 - Nemo Tensor pad, 3" thick, I've been very happy with mine. I do keep it pretty soft.
    2 - a hammock really is the bomb for good sleep, no pressure points, I sleep through the night without moving and wake up feeling great, with no hip or back pains. Mine is a Warbonnet blackbird - good, solid stuff made in the USA. It works well with a pad if you don't want to invest in an underquilt right off.
    3 - sometimes the hip pain is caused by the iliotibial band rubbing over the point of the hip during all day hiking. Stretching and rolling the IT band may help
    4 - a pillow or something between your knees while side sleeping can help with the hip pain. Sounds odd, but the support keeps the thigh in line with the hip
    5 - I find self-inflators as comfortable as the air pads. The thermarest prolite apex is 2" thick and very comfortable

Images

:banana Ifinding a comfortable sleep mat

i was having the same issues due to having my entire back fused.
    thanks to my daughter who suggested Meetpeak sleeping pad.it works for me and might be worth the try.
    Even better, you dont have to blow it up.

you stomp on it. may be a few more ounces but i can go without something if it meens a good sleep.

MEETKEEP Sleeping Pad
    1.76 lb

AMAZON

The Walking S
    ~EVERYTHING YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FEAR~

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

re: pad inflation - Colin Fletcher's technique was to blow the pad up, lie on his side, and intentionally press down on the hip. Then he'd slowly let air out until his hip just touched the ground. Voila! Perfect firmness every time.

I didnt ready thru the whole thread, but I am a sensitive side sleeper as well and I have used the exped synmat lineup for years now. Very comfy for my personally
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++