WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cheaper alternative umbrellas.

Anyone come across lite, semi solid , cheaper than the roofs sold "for" backpacking /umbrellas at target or anywhere.

Grabbed a real light one somewhere, but after I got home realized the first good wind will have me packing out weight that won't hold paper.

Like you, i've tried a few alternatives but after trying went back to the gossamer.

I don't think there is a really durable umbrella at any price. I tend to stick to Euroschirm but they're not really cheap. I believe Euroschirm also makes the GG and probably a few other brand names umbrellas. I tried an umbrella made by Montbell but went back to Euroschirm.

I've gotten a lot of years out of the SMD Silver Shadow. Can't imagine how many "cheap" umbrellas I would have killed in that time heh. This review is from '19 and it will be coming along with me again next month. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/six-...a/#review40193
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Just ordered the ZPacks one. Hoping it holds up!

After having cheap umbrellas fail in downpours, we only use Gossamer. Worth every penny.

Images

Decided to finally break down and get one of the above mentioned umbrellas or unmentioned brand.

Might be going out west some so figure it’s time to breakdown and get some heat and UV reflection too.

Anyone aware of a good up to date comparison of weights, sizes, durability, cost, etc on the twebs?

Thanks.

Images

Uhg.. SMD Umbrella went up 35% in the past year!
    When does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Uhg.. SMD Umbrella went up 35% in the past year!
    When does it stop?
    It never will stop. Did your SS go up 35% last year? did my income? nope lol I digress, getting too political for me.

I have struggled with the umbrella thus far and have stopped carrying it this year. Haven't really missed it, haven't needed it either though. Now that I think about it, the most use i have gotten out of that thing was when I carried the too short for me duplex, and I would use the umbrella to prop up the roof guyline on my head end to keep it off my face!

Now I did find a mighty nice shiny silver umbrella in the new mexican desert this year. Carried it about 100 miles for no use. Just to bring it home i guess.
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Decided to finally break down and get one of the above mentioned umbrellas ...
    The Gossamer seems to be a good one also. I've been using those the past few years. It's a little lighter compared to the SMD carbon. Not sure on durability though. I've been rough on mine and it's held up fine.

++ New Posts ++