WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black flies in VT/NH in June?

Hi folks - I'm considering a section hike of Killington to Franconia in mid-June. Would the black flies eat me alive? I'm a Southerner so they're a bit of a mystery to me.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

They come in near Mothers day and usually are gone by Fathers day (June 18th). Mosquitoes are going to be an issue around sunset but black flies should not be an issue. I got gnawed on pretty bad by mosquitoes one year heading up Mt Cube in June, they were vicious until after dark.

Went SOBO on the LT last June and survived despite all the warnings. Permethrined clothing did the trick for the most part. Put on the head net for a couple of climbs to keep from inhaling flies, but otherwise they were all around, but not really a bother. I did skip Killington summit due to thick clouds of larger, black colored flies, but they were black flies, not black flies
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Some Permethrin treated clothing, some DEET for exposed areas, a wide brim hat with a head net would be recommended. You may not run into many black flies, but black flies sometimes don't read a calendar and you will probably have a swarm or two to deal with. Once the black flies have ebbed however, the mosquitos begin and the same protections will be handy for them.

Garlic
    Images

I entered NH on my NOBO hike on June 21. Black flies were present the rest of the hike but not swarming. I didn't react badly to the bites I got. The head net was worth its weight in gold.

Mud was a bigger concern.

Another vote for permetherin clothing soak. I hiked Maine in June-July and really had no problems with bugs; wore shorts and short sleeved shirt. I met others who were covered head to toe, and in miserable clouds of mossys.

Thanks everyone for these comments. I have a head net and have done the permetherin thing. Also trying lighter colored clothes which supposedly help.

Now fingers crossed about those Quebec wildfires!

Black flies here in central NH were very short-lived this year. As Peakbagger mentioned, usually Mother's day to Father's day but at least here they were gone once we got into June. On the other hand, a pretty bad year so far for mosquitos. Have a great hike.

The long wet cold stretch seems to have knocked them out but I was out yesterday in a rare patch of sun and they were out again.

++ New Posts ++