WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont Trail Conditions next week - do I need microspikes?

I'll be section hiking Vermont over the next 10 days or so. Should I carry my micro-spikes? Anyone been out lately and can report on the trail conditions, if there is still ice/snow in places?

Probably depends a bit on which section you are hitting, but it is looking pretty clear from what I am seeing over that way. Think you may be safe without unless you are doing the far north bits.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I received this email from the GMC today, hope it's helpful to you:

Hiking Season Kicks Off with Memorial Day Weekend
    This Memorial Day weekend officially kicks off our favorite season of the year: hiking season. It's been long anticipated throughout the last several weeks of mud season and we thank you again for your care and consideration staying off the trail and spreading mud season awareness this year.
    High elevation trails are now open and should be relatively dry. But expect to encounter some remaining patches of snow at higher altitudes and be prepared for early season conditions. Check the GMC Trail Updates page, Vermont FPR, and TrailFinder for trail and parking updates. You can check out potential summit conditions by using the National Weather Service's Mountain Point Forecasts for 18 locations in Vermont.
    As the season gets underway, we encourage you to make use of the Waterbury Center Visitor Center, located on Route 100, and the Barnes Camp Visitor Center, open on weekends at the base of Smugglers' Notch in Stowe. The visitor center will be open for hikers to ask questions, find hike recommendations and trail information, and get maps, guides, and other gear.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

I just finished up Manchester south to Bennington and the trail is great! No need for microspikes. Just DEET and a headnet! Bugs BAD! BAD bugs! Mud not so bad
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

There was just 1 inch of snow at the stake on Mt. Mansfield on 5/21. We've had some frosty nights, but temps are forecast for the 80's this week - any remaining snow be gone soon. There might be some snow in deep, sheltered banks, but spikes won't be needed. I've done a couple of hikes on the LT since 5/15 and haven't seen any snow other than man-made snow on the ski trails. Trails were actually quite dry and not muddy.

++ New Posts ++