WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Keep on truckin!! Hope you’ve got that tramily still!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike Yeah!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

thanks for sharing your journey with everyone. Looking forward to your next post.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

1173 miles down, 1025 miles to Springer! Hiked the 100 mile wilderness in 6 days/5 nights and it was amazing! Backpacking (for me) is sure a lot more fun when the weather is nice. There were 5 fords we were warned about before entering (Little and Big Wilson, Long Pond Outlet and the West and East Branch of the Pleasant River) but with no recent rain the water levels all had dropped and they were all easy peasy (and in fact we were able to rock hop the East Branch). Dispersed camped near Long Pond Outlet and the dinner entertainment was watching people ford. Chairbacks were tough in parts but we got amazing views, dispersed camped before the West Branch. Actually got trail magic and chatted with a nice ridge runner at the crossing. Then White Cap was still a decent climb and again views and we camped near the East Branch Lean-to. Then finally trail became easier and picked up my Shaws resupply bucket at Mary Jo road. Antlers campsite looked great and wished I stayed there but we pushed on. Katahdin view was terrific and the view after the climb up Nesuntabunt was great too. I had heard Rainbow Ledges were terrific but maybe it was the haze or I wasn’t in the right spot but I found them a little meh. Lots of roots and rocks in second half of wilderness so even though it’s flatter and you can go faster don’t believe those that tell you it’s all a race track. I didn’t get cell service except on Chairbacks (T-mobile) but luckily with someone who had Verizon so we could check weather. As you exit the wilderness there is the Abol Bridge CG store that has limited resupply and their $2 internet only allowed me to send texts not do anything else (not even send a picture) but that was all I needed. Stayed at Maine’s Abol Pines CG ($13 per person) and we bought hot dogs and a couple of beers and enjoyed a lovely campfire with a bunch of NOBOs. Next morning didn’t have to rush in to make sure I got a Birches spot because I had an Abol CG reservation which got switched to Katahdin Stream CG. I don’t know what Blueberry Ledges trail is like but the AT thru Baxter is amazing (so consider that before blue-blazing). Waterfalls and easy tread and sat on the porch at Daicy Pond CG. It was another great day. Next morning signed the register at 5:30am and made it up in under 3 hours and 15mins and was fortunate to get Katahdin with great views! But shortly after I took a couple of pictures a storm rolled in and we had to quickly descend and took Abol down and then road walked back to Katahdin Stream CG. My brother-in-law picked me up and he wanted to hike Katahdin too and crazy me I agreed so I hiked Katahdin a second time the next day!We arrived at Togue Pond Gate around 6am on a weekend and got in even without a permit just before 7am. We hiked the same route (AT/Hunt up and Abol down and then 2 mile road walk). Second day no storms but Katahdin was in a cloud all day so no views till we got down low. Still a nice day and we celebrated with all our NOBO friends. Now going to take a few days to see my wife and boys and then will make my way back to Harpers Ferry and start hiking south.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Curious to hear if you find yourself heading the wrong way the first few mornings after the flop You sound like you survived the weather pretty well. Nice that we could provide you with some heat so you are ready when you get down south. Enjoy!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Nicely done!! Happy trails, Sticks!

Thanks for update enjoyed it. Stay safe.

Ha LoneStranger! It will be weird I’m sure! Thanks Chcknfngrs and gjbu!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Oh and sorry my last trail update post is so small font size. I didn’t mean for it to be so hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Oh and sorry my last trail update post is so small font size. I didn’t mean for it to be so hard to read.
    I had been meaning to mention that and ask if you minded if I turned up the font size. I went ahead and edited them to size 4. When you post next, try setting it first to see if it sticks to size 3 or 4.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I had been meaning to mention that and ask if you minded if I turned up the font size. I went ahead and edited them to size 4. When you post next, try setting it first to see if it sticks to size 3 or 4.
    Awesome! Thank you! I’m usually posting this on my tiny iPhone screen in a motel with spotty Wi-Fi so any help is always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Ha LoneStranger! It will be weird I’m sure! Thanks Chcknfngrs and gjbu!

It will happen When I did my 600 mile loop this summer I started south on the AT, then turned onto the LT NOBO. I had to laugh at how I reacted to directional signs for the first few days because I was used to looking for south. Had similar issue when I turned south again on the Cohos, but I've done that trail so many times that navigation isn't really a thing there.

Looking forward to hearing about what comes next. Thanks for sharing!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Images

Enjoying your updates Somers. Congrats on finishing the tougher northern half. Now you are in for some sweet southern trail!

in my experience things that are hard to read have nothing to do with font size. Maybe it's me? idk

Keep rolling on down the trail, enjoying your updates immensely

¿Where for art thou, Logistics?

LoneStranger your comment has stuck with me and I’m a little extra careful when I return to the trail from a shelter or view or whatever. . I’m going south now I say to myself. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    Enjoying your updates Somers. Congrats on finishing the tougher northern half. Now you are in for some sweet southern trail!
    Oh my, so far this is so true!!

Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    in my experience things that are hard to read have nothing to do with font size. Maybe it's me? idk

Keep rolling on down the trail, enjoying your updates immensely
    Ha. Very true! And thank you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    ¿Where for art thou, Logistics?
    Ye ask and you shall receive. .

1334 miles down, 864 miles to Springer! Stayed at Cantuta B&B in Harpers Ferry and got my picture taken again at the ATC. This one felt like the right one since I’m “halfway” now (not sure why they take Flip-Floppers pictures twice). Finished off West Virginia and started the Virginia Rollercoaster. They think that they can take our minds off the ups and downs with a cute name?! . . yeah that kinda worked on me. :-) Then the tread got easier and has remained awesome. I hope it stays this way till Springer! I thought the Smithsonian extension of the National Zoo was neat and I don’t recall reading about it in many trail journals. Stayed at the Mountain House B&B since it’s right on the trail and took the ride they provide into town to get a meal and beer at a Vibrissa Brewery in Front Royal, VA. They have a little room just for AT long distance hikers which I thought was neat. Then it was Shenandoah National Park which I completed in 5 days/4 nights. Those waysides and campground stores were so awesome and definitely cut down on how much food you have to carry and great places to get water. Lots of really great views too in the Park. I think my favorite was Hightop Mountain just before sunset. I lucked out with 4 of the 5 days were great hiking weather and then rain from Tropical Storm Ophelia got me on the 5th day but that’s ok because that was the day I already planned to head into Waynesboro, VA. I was able clean up and dry out at the Quality Inn and I walked over to Stanimals to say hello to a few hiker friends. Not as many heading south as there were heading north but still some hikers out here! Next report on my next zero day.

Hmm I selected font size 4 like suggested. Maybe I need to make sure the whole post is selected. Sorry about that, hopefully Alligator can rescue me again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++