WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Great to read your updates! Thanks so much for keeping us posted! Hope you had a beautiful day on Max Patch and look forward to hearing about your experiences through the Smokies!

Surely this guy is done by now?! Cmawn man, where you at(

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Surely this guy is done by now?! Cmawn man, where you at(
    Haha. I only post on zero days and I haven’t had a zero in a while! :-) But I will say that I’m not done yet but getting very close. 50 miles to go today!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Stay safe and enjoy the last few miles.

Last one to Springer wins!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Last one to Springer wins!
    Only too late did I realize the truth of that.

somers515, Awesome that you have made it so far! Are you still seeing any leaves on the trees? Or on the slopes/valleys visible from the trail? Are you seeing any other flip floppers or sobos?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    somers515, Awesome that you have made it so far! Are you still seeing any leaves on the trees? Or on the slopes/valleys visible from the trail? Are you seeing any other flip floppers or sobos?
    Once I climbed into the Smokies most of the leaves were down. It was good timing for me as then I could see more views as I hiked. Now that I’m in Georgia at the lower elevations there are still some nice colors but I’m thinking we are now past peak for Fall colors as most of the leaves are down.

I currently have 4 other flip floppers out of Harpers Ferry like me in my tramily and I know there are a few flip floppers and SOBOs behind me. One hostel owner told me the season is winding down now.

I’m very happy to be reaching the end and be home with my family for Thanksgiving. 31 miles to go!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Once I climbed into the Smokies most of the leaves were down. It was good timing for me as then I could see more views as I hiked. Now that I’m in Georgia at the lower elevations there are still some nice colors but I’m thinking we are now past peak for Fall colors as most of the leaves are down.

I currently have 4 other flip floppers out of Harpers Ferry like me in my tramily and I know there are a few flip floppers and SOBOs behind me. One hostel owner told me the season is winding down now.

I’m very happy to be reaching the end and be home with my family for Thanksgiving. 31 miles to go!

Sounds like great timing for your flip flop thru-hike! I look forward to your post announcing your finish! And when you have time after you get home and reflect on your hike, maybe even a summation to help future flip floppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Sounds like great timing for your flip flop thru-hike! I look forward to your post announcing your finish! And when you have time after you get home and reflect on your hike, maybe even a summation to help future flip floppers.
    Yes I feel so fortunate on how the weather turned out for me and we were able to avoid the fire closures too. Will do a logistics summary later!

2198 miles done, 0 miles to go. After my last zero day I hiked over Max Patch and had terrific views. Stayed in a Standing Bear Cabin and the only bathrooms for the whole place that I saw was 2 portapotties. I’m glad I saw this iconic hostel but I think I would stay at a different hostel if I were to do it again. Then it was into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Cammerer Lookout was worth the side trail and although it was cold we got nice weather and also really enjoyed the views from Charlies Bunion, Clingmans Dome and Schuckstack Fire tower. It felt great crossing Fontana Dam and into Nantahala National Forest. There was some smoke from wildfires and then some wet drizzling weather knocked it down for us. The Appalachian Inn was pricey but so worth it as our little tramily took it over and it was such a relaxing stay. Then the iconic NOC for dinner at the Rivers Edge before hiking one more mile to a shelter. Next day to Wayah Bald tower and the day after that the Albert Fire Tower marking 100 miles to go. The Bly Oak just before the NC/GA border was so pretty in the mist. The weather improved for us and we got views again from Tray Mountain, Neels Gap, Blood Mountain and we stayed at Gooch Mountain shelter my last night on the AT. The 4 mile summit of Springer was cruisy and gradual and we celebrated at the top before heading 1.5 miles down the Approach Trail to Black Gap shelter. Next day it was down to the Lodge and then down the steps past Amicalola Falls and to the Arch. I’m now at the Atlanta airport and will be home tonight. What an amazing adventure and thank you all for following along and your encouraging words!

Images

Congratulations and thanks for taking us along on your journey. It brings back many happy memories. Now you have your own memories and much to be thankful for!

Well done, Logistics! From all of my family in DC to you!! Now go home and RELAX

Congratulations,and thank you for the updates. Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Congratulations. What a wonderful journey.

Congratulations and thank you for sticking with us to the end! I'm so glad you had a good day on Max Patch at the end of your hike—what could be better?

Congrats to you well done sir!!
    Enjoyed your trip reports, thanks for taking us along your journey.
    Wish you and your family a great holiday season

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++