WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Other Trails?

Default Other Trails?

The family and I had planned on thru hiking the Long Trail, starting next Friday, from North Adams to journeys end all the way up Vermont.

Due to flooding, looking to punt and maybe find another place to hike.

We like the idea of a thru hike of a trail, and not just a long section hike of a longer trail.

Are there other trails out there that are of similar length to the LT?

Have looked at Superior Hiking Trail, and Benton Mackaye Trail. Looking to see other trails within days drive of our home in Washington DC.

Spent a year planning for the Long Trail and now have only 8 days to make a backup plan. Want to make a good safe choice for the family.

BMT is certainly a viable option but just be aware, it will be hot hot hot and extremely overgrown in large sections. Bugs of course. I would probably be more inclined to head north than south if I lived where you live, if possible.

Journal Entries

The Sheltowee Trace is currently 330 miles long. Meandering southbound from north of Morehead Kentucky, it traverses Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest before ending in Tennessee near the southern edge of the Big South Fork National Recreation Area. There's lots of scenic rim rock along the way with highlights including Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge State Park, and Cumberland Falls State Park. Maps are available, as is a guidebook, in both print and in electronic form. Google 'Sheltowee Trace Association'.

I have section hiked all of Trace but have not yet been on the Long Trail. But, based on reports from other hikers, I suspect many people could achieve somewhat higher daily mileage on the Sheltowee compared to the Long Trail.

++ New Posts ++