WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by franky View Post
    I also use the 25% less sodium. I like to slice it and fry it and eat it like you would eat bacon, or cube it and sauté it with onions and add scrambled eggs for an omelet.

I have added cubed spam to my Hamberger patties, and also i've added it to chili for a for a new twist.

I bet you could also add spam to a pan of baked macaroni and cheese.
    Now were talking!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    That can happen with any food. My dad spent a couple fo years in Iceland during WW2. The Army Air Corp was supposed to source food locally if possible. The locals figured out a use for old sheep that wouldnt make it through another winter by slaughtering them and selling the meat to the army. For the duration of his tour, the primary protein was mutton, breakfast, lunch and dinner. He would on rare occasions eat lamb chops but it was definitely not his favorite meal.
    My father was in Korea during the war. He would not eat rice, or chipped beef on toast, which my mom fixed anyway, and I really liked.

Garlic
    Images

I'm sure everyone's seen the meme from the Covid pandemic: "Hormel Foods made their first batch of Spam in 1937. With everyone out shopping and hoarding food, they have announced that they'll make their second batch later this week."

Some people think SPAM stands for Shoulder of Pork And Ham. Actually it stands for Stuff Posing As Meat.

They say that SPAM has 100+ recipes for the hiker. I don't know about that. One hiker I meet at the hostel claimed he ate SPAM, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I can't even imagine that! It reminds me of the story of the two new vegetarians who ate lentils for all three meal, per day. By the time they reached the halfway point, they were sick of lentils. The lady wanted to sneak off and get a burger.

Farming communities barter their labor. My grandfather had a farm in central PA, buying it shortly before the Great Depression and not selling it until the 1970's (they moved off it and he farmed it and rented the house out, starting after WWII) and they all bartered labor and even equipment. Granddad had a steam engine and an apple sorter, so he'd power stuff and sort everyone's apples, and they would plow his fields, or help cut the hay. Since everyone was assisting on those days, the families would cook chicken for everyone. Chicken, chicken, chicken. Later in his life, he'd hardly eat any chicken at all.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Spam MUSUBI

Directions
    1. In large skillet, cook SPAMŽ Classic until lightly browned and crisp. Drizzle with grill sauce or cooking sauce.
    2. Place rice into musubi press or line inside of empty SPAMŽ Classic can with plastic wrap and place rice in can. Press rice down firmly.
    3. Sprinkle with seasoned furikake and toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
    4. Place SPAMŽ Classic on rice in press or in can. Press down firmly. Optional: top with remaining rice; press down.
    5. Remove SPAMŽ Classic and rice from musubi press or can.
    6. On work surface, cut nori to desired width.
    7. Lay nori shiny-side-down; top with pressed SPAMŽ Classic and rice. Wrap nori around pressed SPAMŽ Classic and rice. Serve immediately.

Spam is certainly not new to the hiking community. Carried it over 30 years ago. And when we had large groups we would some times carry canned ham as well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I wonder what Earl Shaffer ate on his '47 hike on the trail? Does anyone know "if" he ate SPAM? Say....why isn't Whiteblaze in the AT museum? It has been a great assets to a great deal of hikers.

We used to get US military rations when we were kids in scouts, I remember the individual canned hams were pretty good. Not sure what era rations they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I wonder what Earl Shaffer ate on his '47 hike on the trail? Does anyone know "if" he ate SPAM? Say....why isn't Whiteblaze in the AT museum? It has been a great assets to a great deal of hikers.
    Since Earl Shaffer, a WWII vet, hiked the trail to “walk the war out of my system”, I’d say there was a good chance he didn’t eat any SPAM on the trail.

Images

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UaoO8rftf0E" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well,After all that I can only add that every third lunch is a tortilla with a single foil slice of Spam inside. It has worked for 1571 miles,and with any luck,will get us to the top of the big mountain. But precooked bacon days are better...

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Love it. Either in a tortilla wrap or as part of a dinner, SPAM is a staple in my trail diet. Plenty of fat, protein, and salt.

Been eating SPAM for 75 years, started with my Grand father. If I remember right it was $.10 at the company store. Sardines where $.07. Thats what he took for lunch in the mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Been eating SPAM for 75 years
    That’s a pretty good trick, since your profile says you are 74.

As a youngun, I could not stand the thought/taste of eating sandwich bread. I had many school lunches that consisted of crackers and potted meat or deviled ham. I think that's why my immune system is so well developed. Drinking creek water and processed meat in a can!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    That’s a pretty good trick, since your profile says you are 74.
    Maybe momma was consuming spam when she was pregnant with soaknwet...

Like any food, if you eat it too often, or if you come to associate it with privation, you can easily come to loathe it. I like Spam, now and again. Definitely as spam musubi, although that's not exactly easy to make on the trail. I'm glad for the existence of Spam singles, and will happily add one to a meal pouch, just as I would a single-serving chicken or tuna or salmon pouch.

To quote Monty Python: 'Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++