WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: February NOBO

Default February NOBO

1st thru hike attempt. 60 year old male, married. Have some backpacking experience. Retired this year and looking for the adventure. Thinking it would be good to hike with someone close to my age.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Turning 62 and have the same plan starting in April. Make sure you flatten the steep parts for me with every step. I’ll be right behind you.

Images

61, Late February, Early March.
    Adopt the pace of nature. Her secret is patience.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are steep parts? Lol. Good luck to you.

I am looking at mid Feb. Hoping the shelters and campsites are not to crowded then. Little worried about the cold though. May add a liner to the bag for awhile.

If you start in mid February, Georgia will be cold, especially at night. Temps below freezing likely, and snow. NC also
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    If you start in mid February, Georgia will be cold, especially at night. Temps below freezing likely, and snow. NC also
    Yes, expect that to be true. Low teens or single digits is what has me a bit worried.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Wife and I hiked through Shenandoah National park in late April. We were at a hostel with a tramily of through hikers who had started in Feb. They said there were plenty of cold nights from the Beginning all the way into VA - We had a night that dipped into the low 30's. They had nights in the teens around Max Patch - Be prepared for plenty of cold weather the fist two months on trail. I have walked through snow in May in the SMNP -

++ New Posts ++