WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dolly Sods Wilderness trip planning help.

I hope to go to Dolly Sods this year in the fall. When would the best time to go, What can I expect, daily mileage recommendation, how is cell service; will I need my inReach? Any other planning tips? Thanks.

I hope you do go especially if you've never been there. I can't say when the best time would be you would have to watch this seasons projections as far as fall colors.

What you can expect is the unexpected can't put into words and no pictures or videos can either. The view of the milky way is awesome from there!
    I would recommend the 28ish mile loop around the sods and take your time ,take a week. And the good thing is there's short cut trails in case you don't meet your goals.
    There will be no cell service, no GPS so be prepared for that.
    You can get a map from the Monongahela National Forest.

By week I mean 5 days you want to take your time on this hike as this place is so beautiful along red creek and its awesome campsites! Take a big bag of luxury items and great food and take your time. That would be my planning tip #1.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    There will be no cell service, no GPS so be prepared for that.
    GPS doesn’t depend on cell service. I have been able to use GPS under heavy tree cover, where there is no cell service.

I meant no GPS on your phone due to no service so please be prepared for that. Better corrector of all!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I meant no GPS on your phone due to no service so please be prepared for that. Better corrector of all!
    GPS on your phone works with no cell service, and if you have pre downloaded maps from a FarOut app, or other mapping app that works with GPS, you can navigate using your phone with no cell service. You just can’t make any phone calls, send or receive texts, or search the web.

Awesome thanks folks. I understand what you mean by no gps/cell. I use a stand alone Garmin for gps, it’s a non issue.

What are the ground conditions like? Dirt, rocks etc… Will i be able to get a tent stake in on the north side of the “park”? Ive been advised to avoid the south part due to extreme mud.

While I have not hiked all the DS trails, the worst mud in my experience are along the Dobbin Grade Trail, especially on both sides of the Beaver Dam Trail. It can get deep and liquidy; different shoes for the drive home are mandatory. Second worst is the Dunkenburger Trail, but at least there you should be able to rock hop (or use of placed fallen tree branches) to get by that area.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Its been a few years since I've been down there but depending on where you set up rocks and roots might present a problem just use rocks . You're correct the northern section is the "sods" and mud is an understatement more like bog , swamp quicksand I remember sticking my trekking pole in to test how deep and my pole sank all the way in . But we did find a way around it's doable and I didn't die!
    If you have time explore some along red creek the campsites are amazing with big flat rocks set up as chairs with arm rest and big fire rings.

I found my map of the sods and Aegislll is correct about the Dobbin Grade trail that's where I experienced what I described. Being the last leg of the big loop counter clockwise.

I just spent 5 days in Dolly Sods with a group of friends and family; our 4th trip there 2-6 Aug. Water will not be a problem, I can assure you of that. We did the 22+ mile loop and it was spectacular. Some of the trails are in serious need of maintenance due to erosion and others like the 558, Dunkenbarger Tr are almost overgrown with rhododendrons and other vegetation. Unless a lot of maintenance is done soon, that trail will be gone in a 3 or so years.

And then there are the beavers. They've done what I would call extensive damage to the trails and it gets worse every year. Forest Service needs o come up with a plan to cull some of them. Some trails are completely underwater and we had to bushwhack around them. That also means extra emphasis on filtering your water. No way anyone should be backpacking there without a water filter/treatment unless you're excited at the prospect of seeing what it's like to get giardia.

If it were to rain, you can expect VERY muddy conditions and the trails will be streams. Not a chance you'll be able to keep your feet dry.

To reiterate what JNI64 said; virtually ZERO cell service so I HIGHLY recommend downloading Alltrails to your phone to navigate; well worth the money. That app was critical to accurately navigating the various trails there. There are a number of false trails from people walking off into the woods, and turning back because it was not a real trail so it can be confusing.
    This is a great map of Dolly Sods. Purple Lizard Maps Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks Lizard Map - 2nd Edition | REI Co-op I have it and would let you borrow it. If you happened to lose it, just buy me a new one and send to me.

There is no shortage of coyotes up there, heard them every night but they're not going to bother you. Never saw a single bear although we did see scat. Also, not a genuine threat.

Last but not least, take your Inreach or some other locator for emergencies.

Hope that help.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I just spent 5 days in Dolly Sods with a group of friends and family; our 4th trip there 2-6 Aug. Water will not be a problem, I can assure you of that. We did the 22+ mile loop and it was spectacular. Some of the trails are in serious need of maintenance due to erosion and others like the 558, Dunkenbarger Tr are almost overgrown with rhododendrons and other vegetation. Unless a lot of maintenance is done soon, that trail will be gone in a 3 or so years.

And then there are the beavers. They've done what I would call extensive damage to the trails and it gets worse every year. Forest Service needs o come up with a plan to cull some of them. Some trails are completely underwater and we had to bushwhack around them. That also means extra emphasis on filtering your water. No way anyone should be backpacking there without a water filter/treatment unless you're excited at the prospect of seeing what it's like to get giardia.

If it were to rain, you can expect VERY muddy conditions and the trails will be streams. Not a chance you'll be able to keep your feet dry.

To reiterate what JNI64 said; virtually ZERO cell service so I HIGHLY recommend downloading Alltrails to your phone to navigate; well worth the money. That app was critical to accurately navigating the various trails there. There are a number of false trails from people walking off into the woods, and turning back because it was not a real trail so it can be confusing.
    This is a great map of Dolly Sods. Purple Lizard Maps Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks Lizard Map - 2nd Edition | REI Co-op I have it and would let you borrow it. If you happened to lose it, just buy me a new one and send to me.

There is no shortage of coyotes up there, heard them every night but they're not going to bother you. Never saw a single bear although we did see scat. Also, not a genuine threat.

Last but not least, take your Inreach or some other locator for emergencies.

Hope that help.
    That's a great tradition y'all's have going on there! Good for ya!
    We had problems navigating trails through there years ago also alot of game trails will throw you off.

That's very nice to offer your map indeed!
    One question how was the crowds? I heard it's pretty busy down there these days..

We expected a lot of people and especially on the weekend bc the weather was so good but not very many people at all really. A fair amount of day hikers with dogs, poodles seemed to be a thing but we had very little competition for camping with other hikers.

++ New Posts ++