WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There is no recording of those who didn't beat the then current record. Previous record holders may be listed but no mention on the site last I checked of someone coming in shy of the record but beating previous record holders. It doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I guess I got names mixed up and he does not have a NOBO record however, looking at the link about it looks like true 2nd place is missing. Wasn't it last year that someone was on pace to beat the NOBO record until the Whites where he fell behind, but still pushed on and got 2nd and still much faster then 3rd (what is currently listed as 2nd) ?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation and to the person that pointed out it was him.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

He finished this morning, with a final time of 45 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes. This will be the SOBO record, once verified.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxQqk5Bri9r

Agree with Lone Wolf that he's probably try again for the overall record.

Thanks for this update! I was at Abol Bridge the morning he started, and chatted with his support man Iceman who was waiting on him to run by at around 8 am. Also met another older AT Hiker and past Ultra Runner, whose son was helping to pace Kristian. It was great to see Iceman in this final pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    He finished this morning, with a final time of 45 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes. This will be the SOBO record, once verified.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxQqk5Bri9r

Agree with Lone Wolf that he's probably try again for the overall record.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Gbolt, I think we met on the AT in New York a few years ago. I was on a northbound section hike. Did you fall climbing over a rock on that stretch? I was with a friend named Hip-n-Hop, who has a really distinctive accent from rural Southside VA. You were mostly talking with him. My trail name is Slapshot.
    Last edited by Patrickjd9; 10-03-2023 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Gbolt, I think we met on the AT in New York a few years ago. I was on a northbound section hike. Did you fall climbing over a rock on that stretch? I was with a friend named Hip-n-Hop, who has a really distinctive accent from rural Southside VA. You were mostly talking with him. My trail name is Slapshot.
    It does sound familiar, and I did fall backwards climbing a rock ledge right after the Lemon Squeezer. The ledge is no longer there, simply a smaller rock pile, half the height that it was. I fell on my butt and pack luckily, but it could have caused concussion symptoms. ��.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    It does sound familiar, and I did fall backwards climbing a rock ledge right after the Lemon Squeezer. The ledge is no longer there, simply a smaller rock pile, half the height that it was. I fell on my butt and pack luckily, but it could have caused concussion symptoms. ��.
    My hiking partner described your fall when I saw him last week. I believe that he saw it, while I was a couple of minutes behind. He finished his section hike in 2019, while I have about 250 miles left.

Glad you're still getting on the trail, and take care!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    SOBO is easier. bottom line. i'm more impressed by the NOBO record.
    Why is Sobo easier. I'd love to know.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    My guess would be that for someone in good enough shape to attempt an FKT, that getting the rugged parts of ME and NH over with while you’re relatively fresh would be easier, vs hitting them at the end when you’re somewhat spent.

For your general purpose thru hiker, that would work in reverse. I know for me it did on my SOBO; by the time I got off Moosilauke the combination of having my trail legs firmly established and the terrain smoothing out resulted in a dramatic increase in daily mileage.

A regular thru hiker rests the body more too, gets a full night’s sleep, nearoes and zeroes. Such that they are in peak shape at the end of the hike. Whereas the FKTer is probably in peak condition at the beginning, and sounds like they rest the bare minimum along the way.

Conjecture on my part since I’m not part of the FKT scene.
    Last edited by HankIV; 11-23-2023 at 17:36. Reason: Change arts to parts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    What HankIV said...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++