WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Susquehannock Trail System Thruhike (PA)

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2023/10/17/backpacking-the-susquehannock-trail-system-sts/

I recently thruhiked the 84 mile STS, the longest loop in the east. I really enjoyed the beautiful forests, creeks, and isolation. The trail has some superb campsites and one of the finest system of shelters I've seen on a trail. The fall colors were beautiful, and I also enjoyed the occasional meadows, beaver dams, and ponds. I liked hiking right through Cross Fork where I got a burger and beer, right on trail. This trail also has an assortment of log and suspension footbridges that were fun to cross. On my last night, I heard elk bugling. If you're looking for an isolated, uncrowded, and beautiful loop trail, check out the STS.

Images

Thanks for posting Jeff. Some beautiful scenery and nice fall colors in the photos. This trail is on my bucket list.

I hadn't heard of this trail. It sounds like a great loop. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Charlotte

I will look into it now, thanks. I think it's part of this trail system but not all under the same name on this interactive map? ... looks like lots of big options for loop hikes in PA according to this map, though I know it includes different kinds of trails.
    https://trails.dcnr.pa.gov/maptrails/index.html
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/W...s/default.aspx

This might be a better site for the state forest hiking trails. Many of these trails connect, and this site does not include the national scenic trails.

What? an 84 mile long trail in PA with no rocky scrambles??

Thanks for the State Forest Trails map, helps break it down a lot easier. The Quehanna Trail looks just behind in miles (75) but just as much of a wilderness experience. I was thinking of creating a future hike utilizing PA Trails to the Finger Lakes Trail and maybe loop back or into the Adirondacks or something. Whatever I could map out with the least road walking but obviously expecting some. One of these small loops is likely to work out a lot sooner. PA sure has a lot of trails, even the state forest only trail map.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

The Quehanna is a great trail. I particularly like the vast trail network in the Quehanna Wild Area. A very beautiful place and one of my favorites to go backpacking.

Good information! Never heard of the area and you all are making it seem worth a looksie!

++ New Posts ++