WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a good day pack

Hey guys;
    I just did a 7 mile loop hike in Harriman Park NY with my Outdoor Products (not related to Outdoor Research) pack I've used as my go-to day pack for a very long time.
    The pack is probably around 20L, and has no frame. It can become very uncomfortable if packed full (and improperly, which is usually the case when I just want to do a day hike).
    I did a Google search and came up with a YouTube video review of the Osprey Stratos 24.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ffMEL2XgQ
    I didn't find a review for the Stratos 24 in the pack reviews.

This pack looks like it would fit my needs, given that I always carry at least 1.5L water, extra gear, a large hero sandwich I purchase on the way in, and other gear I consider necessary.
    I like the fact that the Stratos 24 has a frame, which should make it much more comfortable than the pack I'm using now.

I also own an Osprey Atmos 65 AG, but haven't done any multi-day backpacking since 2015.

Thanks for your help
    Ethan

Garlic
    Images

Are you familiar with Gossamer Gear products?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I own two Kumo and one G4-20. Love them dearly. Used them with my family this past summer in Vermont and they performed well!! They’d be perfect for day use, not heavy and tons of space. Frameless but comfortable with 15 or so pounds

Thanks guys;
    I'll take a look at your suggestions.
    I like the idea of a frame, but maybe that Osprey would be a bit too heavy. The guy who did the review did mention that the pack is heavier than others of the same size.

I'm very happy with an Osprey Talon 22 for daypack use. YMMV

Images

I bought this 20L pack for day hiking last year and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/SKYSPER-Backp...dp/B09XK4KGH6/

My wife loves her Osprey Tempest 24, similar to the Talon 22, so another vote for that from me.

I got the Stratos 24, has served me well... but if I had to do it again I'd get something near 30L. 24L can be a little tight at times..

Maybe I'll just take a (short) trip to one of the local outfitters and try on a few packs.

I have an Osprey Daylite pack ($60) that I use for light hiking that is about perfect for day hiking with some spare clothing and trail essentials one may want to carry. I would seriously look at this pack for day use.

I also have a Camelback pack but that doesn't provide much room when a full water bladder is used, and cost more than the Daylite pack.

I've used a Camelbak day pack, no hip belt, for years of day hiking. I don't carry much at all in it. 1.5 liters of H2O in the hydration bladder, bug spray, TP, some small first-aid stuff. My hikes are timed so I'm back at the truck for lunch and then continue the hike. After 10+ years the Camelbak is showing it's age/wear. This past Labor Day with the REI sale, I decided to check out day packs on the REI Outlet. I wound up getting a Gregory day back, with hip belt. It was on major sale and then I had 20 percent off. The main pocket isn't as large as the CamelBak so I'll still use the Camelbak when out deploying Orienteering Gear (the control bags probably won't fit in the Gregory). One neat thing about the Gregory was that it didn't come with a default hydration bladder. Instead the website said "Also consider" and showed me some three or four Gregory hydration bladders. 1 liter, 1.5, 2.... I've only used it once on a day hike (way to hot in Texas until recently) but it rode well, fit well, adjustable.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Osprey Daylite for my day hikes. I originally “stole” it from my wife who bought it for traveling and liked it so much I bought a second one after wearing out the first. I’ve also tried the REI Flash 22 and prefer the Daylite. I use 3 panels of a CCF pad for a sit pad on my dayhikes which also serves as a frame.

I decided to buy the Osprey Stratos 24 from Amazon. Was $135 but with credits, I paid just over $100 for it.
    I received the pack today, put a few things into it, and tried it on; feels great! I'm looking forward to my first trek with it.

++ New Posts ++