WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Layers

Default Layers

Looking for input on my layers for a mid Feb. Nobo.
    Merino t-shirt
    Jolly long sleeve
    Merino midweight pullover
    Patagonia R1
    Marmont puffy
    Hat
    OR shorts
    OR Ferrosi pants
    Lightheart rain suit

Separate sleep merino top and bottom

TIA

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Sounds pretty good, but do some trials in cold weather first to make sure. Mid Feb can be snowy freezing & miserable, even mid March in Smokies can have lots of snow. We took a merino wool layer head to foot and wore it a lot especially sleeping.

Thanks, will do some testing out. I'm in the midwest so cold weather is no problem.....

I personally consider my balaclava to be my most important article of clothing during very cold temps. Can be used in different ways, and for the few extra ounces it weighs, it is well worth it for me to have it even if I don't need it.

Images

By "hat" I assume you mean merino woolen cap that covers the ears. Also second the balaclava on so many uses.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

My lightweight OR balaclava was in my pack on section hikes from Maine to GA. It weighs almost nothing yet really make a difference in windy conditions and also works a lot better for sleeping. I would also have a synthetic cap but for colder conditions but in pinch the it can be rolled up and used as hat. I live in the whites and it stays in my daypack year round. I also carry polypro liner gloves year round. The key to staying warm is to have the gear to cover every inch of your skin with something that does nto absorb water. Merino is great stuff but its far less durable than synthetics, fine for inner layers but if you use it for an outer layer its going to get shredded.

Balaclava is great for sleeping.

Would add rain mitts, and some kind of gloves.

Get Ferrosi convertible pants and save a little weight. Maybe spend the savings on a bottom base layer? Ferrosi pants are great, but not very warm. And wouldn’t want to depend on your sleep bottoms for that unless you are good with that being a “get to town” day. Never wear sleep clothes to hike in unless it’s an emergency.

Three long sleeve options AND a puffy might be overkill.

A wind shirt like a Hoodini can be very helpful, when it’s windy but not raining. You might think the Lightheart would would with the big pitzips, but I didn’t find that to be the case. (And I am a big fan of Lightheart) A wind shirt vents much better.
    Last edited by HankIV; 11-12-2023 at 12:23. Reason: Forgot two items

Balaclava looks cool, not sure if I would wear it to much. I normally use a wool hat and merino buff for cold. Maybe I should try it.

++ New Posts ++