WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Just back from the Big South Fork & a little Off the Beaten Path finds...

Wow what perfect weather in northern TN!!
    Here are a few historical finds from the last few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Which areas were you around? Love this area but I usually end up in the Bandy Creek area.

Journal Entries

Where in BSF? "Off the Beaten Path" in your title - were you exploring off-trail?
    I'm intrigued by what I guess is the remains of a railroad.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Which areas were you around? Love this area but I usually end up in the Bandy Creek area.
    I focused on North White Oak Creek this trip. I hiked in from the E Laurel Overlook and explored the old rail beds up E Laurel Fork and day 2-3 I followed the O&W Trail (railbed) all the way down beyond the Mill Creek TH and continue following it past where the trail turns up the hill towards Tar Kiln.

illabelle, the BSF is "The Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area" and yes I was mainly Off thrail due to the incredible ruggedness and history lurking up the drainages. Here's a centralized location where a popular old river ford bridge is that you can drive up to to familiarize you with the location:
    4564 Leatherwood Rd, Oneida, TN 37841

Alos, here's a shot of aIMG_1355.jpg not so old but STRANGE find waaaay off trail that I would Love to hear the story behind it!

There is some history on the Sheltowee Trace at the Blue Heron Bridge, old train carts/ railroad equipment

Cool stuff you found!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Also that park is 125,000 acres so there's A LOT to explore in both KY & TN!! And the Great weather looks to continue for the next 10 days or so!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I focused on North White Oak Creek this trip. I hiked in from the E Laurel Overlook and explored the old rail beds up E Laurel Fork and day 2-3 I followed the O&W Trail (railbed) all the way down beyond the Mill Creek TH and continue following it past where the trail turns up the hill towards Tar Kiln.

illabelle, the BSF is "The Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area" and yes I was mainly Off thrail due to the incredible ruggedness and history lurking up the drainages. Here's a centralized location where a popular old river ford bridge is that you can drive up to to familiarize you with the location:
    4564 Leatherwood Rd, Oneida, TN 37841

Alos, here's a shot of aIMG_1355.jpg not so old but STRANGE find waaaay off trail that I would Love to hear the story behind it!
    We've been to BSF many times. The Honey Creek Loop is a favorite for us. But we haven't ventured off trail. That area is very rugged that you never know when you're going to be walking next to a drop off over a mouth of one of those cave/rockhouses. Do you know of a source for old maps of the area?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We've been to BSF many times. The Honey Creek Loop is a favorite for us. But we haven't ventured off trail. That area is very rugged that you never know when you're going to be walking next to a drop off over a mouth of one of those cave/rockhouses. Do you know of a source for old maps of the area?
    No, I wish I did, if you hear of one, I would be interested in purchasing one. I believe it became a park in 1974? If that's the case, I don't know the protocol or if there is a protocol when a place becomes a park, would it have to have an original map? I've been exploring the park since the late 1980's And I have 2 Nat Geo maps, the oldest being revised in 1998 which has several trails and old road beds that the newer one does not, like the Tunnel Trail that you may have walked through off of the old John Muir Trail / Rock Creek Trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

The Tunnel Trail: IMG_1534.jpgIMG_1533.jpg

Journal Entries

I think next year I'm going to plan several explorations in BSF. I'll definitely add the Tunnel Trail to the list!
    I forgot about one hike we did on an unofficial trail. It was a February, with temps in the 20s. I had found a detailed description that led us through a number of intersecting trails. Started at O&W. Once the trail got up on the ridge it continued through a relatively flat area with horse trails. Several places on those horse trails had thick muck that was impossible to walk around. With the low temperatures the mud had a hard crust, but not hard enough. We scurried across each mudhole as quickly as possible to avoid sinking. After visiting the Needle's Eye, we descended on another trail, referred to in my printout as the "Oh Poop Trail". We discovered why. Not literal poop, but deeply eroded trail with mud walls & mud bottom. No way to escape it. Fun, but extra messy.
    https://www.indherald.com/2021/05/24...-in-the-ridge/

Journal Entries
    Images

I think next year I'm going to plan several explorations in BSF. I'll definitely add the Tunnel Trail to the list!
    I forgot about one hike we did on an unofficial trail. It was a February, with temps in the 20s. I had found a detailed description that led us through a number of intersecting trails. Started at O&W. Once the trail got up on the ridge it continued through a relatively flat area with horse trails. Several places on those horse trails had thick muck that was impossible to walk around. With the low temperatures the mud had a hard crust, but not hard enough. We scurried across each mudhole as quickly as possible to avoid sinking. After visiting the Needle's Eye, we descended on another trail, referred to in my printout as the "Oh Poop Trail". We discovered why. Not literal poop, but deeply eroded trail with mud walls & mud bottom. No way to escape it. Fun, but extra messy.
    https://www.indherald.com/2021/05/24...-in-the-ridge/
    Yeah the Needles Eye is really cool!! The way you went was from the O&W Bridge up the hill past the Devils Den & the "Oh Poop" is the Panther Creek trail it will take you back down to N. White Oak creek which is where the trail where I found the train bridge, it would be about another 12-15 miles down the O&W trail. This time of the year is the best, but the horses definitely make a mess of the trail!!

Do you know of a source for old maps of the area?
    This viewer allows one to view and download old USGS topos. It is a bit clunky and the maps have different scales so they cover different areas and detail. Some of the southern parts go back 1896. The northern parts date to 1952-55.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/ and then click on the viewer. Follow steps.

OR

This link takes you straight to BSF. Just click somewhere on the map and available maps show up on the right. Click on the desired map and then click show.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/view....5555/-84.6753

Journal Entries

That's super helpful Daybreak!!
    Thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Awesome Daybreak!!
    Thanks!!

++ New Posts ++