WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tyvek

Thumbs up Tyvek

Back in the day, folks were making all sorts of things from Tyvek. (rain gear for one) Does anyone still make anything from this stuff?)

I have used the same sheet of tyvek for about 2000 miles now over the past 6 years or so. It is as soft as a blanket. I use it as a tent interior floor for my dog, spread it out for lunch and breaks, and it is my tent floor when I tarp. I have often wanted to make a tent out of it but haven't committed to that project, too much time, too much money when I can just spend the money and get a good product from tarptent.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I’ve got a tyvek footprint that my family and I used for just 185 miles this summer. It is also very broken in. I am not sure how suitable it would be at this point for anything!

Default Tyvek

I use it for the footprint for my LightheartGear SoLong 6. Wash it in a machine first and it's soft as butter and quiet.

Journal Entries

I recently used Tyvek to make a footprint for my Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (Long)

What people don't do is prep the Tyvek before washing (Here is a video I made about it)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnh0dNL9_8

I use it for my tent's footprint. Saw a company the other day that uses it to make bivys.

I have a piece that is two foot square. Just a dry spot to set things while cooking,and I leave it outside the tent door so mud doesn't get in. Also nice to have a dry spot to sit when everything is wet.

I cut one to size, slightly larger than my Neo Air, and use it whenever I find myself in a shelter for floor protection. Of course, I also use it as a floor mat beneath my hammock to stand on, and occasionally as the footprint for my tent. Very soft, very quiet, lightweight.

I’m sure there are expensive products that are “lighter”, but for all around use, I love my 20y/o Tyvek.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I use kite Tyvek for a tent foot print. light, quiet and durable. Kite Tyvek is also used for hazard suits and stuff like that. Think its called 1443 Tyvek.

Images

I'm a General Contractor, so I always have rolls of the stuff. I make "footprints" for all my tents with it. It's wise to cut a footprint about 3" smaller in each dimension so it doesn't stick out beyond the tent floor to act as a rain collector. It is waterproof and will create a lake under your tent floor if some thought isn't exercised. It's incredibly durable.

I make gear pouches out of it for my FireFly twig stoves and LittleBuck saws. For durability I line the pouches with 3M Extreme strapping tape. Much lighter than a cloth pouch.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++