WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for 2 nighter suggestions with my 13 yo boy

Hi!

Looking for 2 nighter suggestions with my 13 yo boy.

We would leave from north Atlanta burbs Friday later morning and need to be back Sunday for his soccer game at 2pm.

Something scenic, safe, with variety, and not too challenging climb wise. I think 10 miles per day may be too much.

Not sure if we would sleep at shelter or camp site.

I have all the gear.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Water is scarce on much of the Pinhoti right now, so I don't think that's a good option.

The Cohutta Wilderness Area is mostly but not entirely steep. One fun loop would be this: Park at Jacks River Trailhead in Alaculsy Valley. Walk across the iron bridge, turn left on Old Highway 2 (aka Cowpen Road) and walk about four miles to the Rice Camp Trail trailhead. Do Rice Camp Trailhead to the Jacks River (about 3.5 miles). Walk down the Jacks River Trail about 13 miles to complete the loop. That portion of the Jacks River includes something like 18 river crossings. At this moment the water is very low and cool but not winter-cold. I think a 13-year old would really enjoy the river crossing aspect.

Most of the AT in Georgia will involve at least a few big climbs, so you may not want to try that.

Here is a great website (https://www.cohuttawildernesshiking.com) if you are interested in the Cohutta Wilderness and a map I made of trails my husband and I can string together in the future. The red star between Jack's River and and Hampton Top Trail is the parking area, this is just for seeing how the trail mileages add up together.
    I am always amazed at what my 13 year old son can pull off as far as mileage and steepness. Whatever you decide, I hope you both have a lovely time!
    Layout.jpg

There's a typo/mistake in the preceding post. That should be Hemp Top Trail (no Hampton Trail in the Cohuttas).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    There's a typo/mistake in the preceding post. That should be Hemp Top Trail (no Hampton Trail in the Cohuttas).
    You got it, thanks!

thank you. hope more suggestions come in!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are tons of two night loops in Great Smoky Mountains National Park... however, right not, lots of campsites are dry, and I would find it difficult to drive back on a Sunday morning AND get in a 2pm soccer game.

You might consider using the trails around Vogel State Park and the Blood Mountain Wilderness to form a loop or loop(s) with the AT. Whatever route you pick is gonna be pretty steep though.

Another idea that might fit the bill is Fort Mountain State Park, look into backcountry reservations. Less strenuous than Blood Mountain area but still some climbing.

You might also consider F.D.R. State Park south of Atlanta. Though not at scenic as the North GA mountains, F.D.R. has some scenic overlooks and is a great place to introduce a beginner to backpacking. And the terrain is mild compared to my other two suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    You might consider using the trails around Vogel State Park and the Blood Mountain Wilderness to form a loop or loop(s) with the AT. Whatever route you pick is gonna be pretty steep though.

Another idea that might fit the bill is Fort Mountain State Park, look into backcountry reservations. Less strenuous than Blood Mountain area but still some climbing.

You might also consider F.D.R. State Park south of Atlanta. Though not at scenic as the North GA mountains, F.D.R. has some scenic overlooks and is a great place to introduce a beginner to backpacking. And the terrain is mild compared to my other two suggestions.
    Should have mentioned camping anywhere in a GA State Park will require backcountry reservations, FYI.

++ New Posts ++