WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harpers Ferry taxi services

Hey guys;
    I'm taking a 'mini-vacation' to Harpers Ferry WV next month. I'll be traveling on Amtrak from NYC.
    I thought maybe I could walk the distance (partly on the A.T.) but my train will arrive after dark, and it's 3 miles, with some walking on the highway.
    Which taxi service would you recommend?

Thanks for your help
    Ethan TX

Where are you trying to get?

The Appalachian Trail goes right thru town. Either north or south.

To a hotel/hostel or something? They may pick you up, if you ask.

Sorry, I forgot to give the name of the hotel I am staying at. It's the Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry-Charles Town. It's about 3mi west on US 340.
    I'm only doing day hikes, so will be returning from the trail to the hotel each day.
    I checked with the hotel; they don't provide shuttle service, but I noticed that there is a Harpers Ferry shuttle stop near the hotel, at the Harpers Ferry Nat'l park visitors center. I did some Googling and it appears that the National Park Service runs shuttle buses from the park visitors center to parking lots and Lower Town, which is where the train station is located. However, the shuttle won't be running when my train arrives. I could use the shuttle to get to the A.T. from the hotel, but I would need to pay the park entrance fee. Uber or Lyft is probably a better option for me, as getting to the visitors center still requires a short road walk on US 340.

Clarion hotel & park visitors center.jpg

You can walk that, or good old fashioned hitch hiking, Uber could be hit or miss (long story short, paid a shirtless tattooed fellow $$$ because Uber was not reliable in Keys Gap just south of HF). FarOut may show shuttle drivers and other transportation options. Your mileage may vary

.......and there won't be much traffic on 340 because the road between the bridges going into Maryland is closed do to construction.

Thanks JNI64; I read about construction on 340 on the Harpers Ferry NP website, but wasn't aware that the roadway itself was closed.
    I guess whether I walk/run the road will depend on the weather, and how much I am carrying. I've got an Osprey Stratos 24L pack, but I'm only going to be in HF for 3 days, so won't be carrying all that much - but I will be wearing my hiking boots...
    OTOH, there is a Quality inn much closer to the A.T. Only about 1/4 mile from the trail to the hotel; not sure how good that hotel is compared with the Clarion, but reading some reviews gives me the impression it's not as nice.

BTW: Is the A.T. open on the bridge over the Shenandoah?

Edit: Uh, never mind. You did say that the roadway between the bridges is closed - not the bridge itself.

I'm not sure if they are allowing foot traffic across the bridge. The road is closed do to rocks falling off the mountain onto 340. The trail goes across the bridge and then up and across chestnut hill rd which is closed as well so I don't know how that effects the trail . This is a good question. I don't know if you will have time but I highly recommend the Maryland heights trail it's about 4.5 miles up the front way and about 6.5 up and back the back way up . You get up there and you can see all harpers ferry and the 2 rivers coming together its really nice . There are plaques on the way describing why they built that path up there to take canons up there to protect harpers ferry from invasion during the war. I just took my girlfriend up there last Wednesday and had a great time

Looks like the A.T. is open. But I think I'll take JNI64's recommendation to hike the Maryland Heights Trail.
    I'll be there on Dec 11 when everything is supposed to be open, but won't depend on that happening.
    I'll also contact the ATC to make sure what's open and what's not. I plan to visit the HQ as well.

Weverton Cliffs are a little farther south along the AT but offer another great view

I have made this trip a lot easier for myself; I changed my hotel to the Quality Inn on Union st - only 100 yards or so road walk to the A.T.
    I can easily walk there from the Amtrak station - either via the A.T itself, or Washington st.
    I won't have to worry about getting a ride from the hotel to the trail, or into town.

Good for you! Wise decisions! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
    And let us know of your experience and adventures

++ New Posts ++