WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bragging

Default Bragging

Ran into another hiker at Boiling Springs, PA today. He bragged he hadn't a shower since DWG! (Yes he smelled bad.) What is the longest time you went without a shower on the trail?

5 days. But don’t brag.

18 or 19 days in the middle of summer but I'm not bragging either and hiked alone. Generally I went about 10 days between resupplies but this time I resupplied right at the post office and didn't get off trail and stay anywhere for a shower, just resupplied and hit the trail again. PO was actually on the road walk, it was pretty sweet to do except for the no shower part but sometimes you compromise. I think this was when I hit the trail again in CT (after staying in my own bed some nights) and into MA, probably close to VT before a shower. Clearly I was eager and happy to be on the trail again after too long of a break. Usually it was about 10 days between showers so that's pretty bad to, That was 2 pairs of sox and boxers besides the camp clothes. Not bragging or encouraging but it is what it is sometimes.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

6 days thru hiking the Bartram trail in April is longest for me. Feel like I could go longer out west before feeling as disgusting.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

1000+ miles on pct. body figures it out. no need to smell like soap. we are humans and smelling like one...well, what's wrong with that?

Once talked to a hiker at the old Ruck. (Remember them?) He just got off the trail (month+) No shower. At the hostel he was steps from a hot shower but wouldn't take one. No names. Worse thing, I had to sleep above him in the bunk room.

31 days on my denali grand traverse, going from talkeetna to wonderlake on foot. smelled really bad. my partner too. said he. i never did smell him, my own smell was too bad. when back i refused to leave the laundromat without a clean sleepingbag and the owner let me do it in the bathtub. very nice of her, being worried about me ruining the washing machine when spinning the sleepingbag. the dryer was ok to use, otherwise it would have been a few cold nights in talkeetna. thanks again after 37 years!

on the AT 7 or 8 days, in winter or late fall. resupply always was a chance to wash clothes and to clean myself better than with a cup of hot water and a washcloth in the tent, which i did on a daily base. got compliments for me not smelling bad at all in quite a few shops that had smelled other long distance and thruhikers before.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I went 11 days on the Long Trail southbound. The tub needed some attention after the shower.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

18 days and I never did that....ever....again.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

After I've learned about sponge bath using shamwow here at WB several years ago, I keep myself clean by doing just that on a daily basis, usually right when arriving at camp, still heated by the hiking. No need for a shower for many days, even weeks.
    We have the habit of doing a skinny-dip whenever feasible, though.
    But then, a hot tub is very welcome when being back home, not exactly for hygiene, but for comfort.

When people on trail brag to me about smelling I turn around and walk away. It is at the top of my trail social annoyances. Its just nasty
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

10 Days on both AT and PCT

Images

One of the great joys of hiking (in the warmer months for me at least) is creek bathing. I've gone several days without bathing (maybe 4 or 5) but the chafing starts to become an issue for me if I let the grime get too much a foot hold.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    When people on trail brag to me about smelling I turn around and walk away. It is at the top of my trail social annoyances. Its just nasty
    I agree, on the AT you could take a shower every 2-3 days without much trouble. And guess what? They feel flipping fantastic! Why in god’s green earth you actively avoid them is beyond me. And they are considerate of others.

BTW, there are two places in VA you can stop, take a shower and do some laundry with just a hope you’ll give the providers a little biz. Appalachian Trail Outfitters in Elkton, and in Front Royal, next to the Mountain Trails, and co-sponsored by them, the brew pub and the bakery. Great service for an in and out resupply.

Even if you shower it's half a day and your smelling just as bad sometimes, especially in the summer. Ain't even worth stopping for one if you aren't stopping for something else anyway. I would bring more wet wipes (that I always pack out) and powder to keep my butt clean and free of chaffing every night but other then that I see no reason to get off trail every 2-3 days. I wouldn't avoid a shower if it wasn't out of my way though.
    NoDoz
    -

17 years, Not "on the trail" but I never had an actual "shower" until I went to college. Grew up without indoor plumbing and we took what we called "bird baths" in the back yard one at a time on Sat evenings while everyone else was on the front porch waiting their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    17 years, Not "on the trail" but I never had an actual "shower" until I went to college. Grew up without indoor plumbing and we took what we called "bird baths" in the back yard one at a time on Sat evenings while everyone else was on the front porch waiting their turn.
    Ding,Ding,Ding I think we have a winner!!
    This thread stinks

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Ding,Ding,Ding I think we have a winner!!
    This thread stinks
    I really wasn't trying to "win" anything. I guess I just wanted to point out that existing without a shower is definitely a possibility, although today it is not a desirable one.

I remember sitting next to someone in middle school who didn't take a shower because of his religion. I very politely told my teacher in private that I can not sit next to him, he informed me it was his religion but rearranged the classroom seating the next day. I felt bad but wasn't making fun of the kid or anything.
    NoDoz
    -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++