WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pumpkin Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
    I agree that when I visited Graz, the word pumpkin was used more generically than I was used to, including most baking squashes (butternut, acorn), etc. They all are treated (and taste) similar in the kitchen.
    Welcome to our country!

As to the pumpkin soup leather, the more recently processed food, pumpkin soup and lentil soup, was more like shards, not leathery in any ways.
    I think it would need some food engineer to produce exactly soup leather stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    As a non-native speaker (writer) I must confess that I really miss many words and expressions, especially of American English.
    Friends here are British expats and if I ask them about words from the forum here, many they dont know either.
    Add in loads of bugs from the Autofill, and it ends up at my poor English.
    Sorry for that, and thanks for any correction.

Yes, I used the word "pumpkin" for all those bulbous fruits we are growing here.
    I think you were fine using it that way, I was just clarifying some. I have had some surprise fruits growing on what I was expecting to be butternut squash and zucchini. Squash hybridize pretty easily and when I went looking for possible parents for my plants I started seeing that types of what we refer to as squash were being called pumpkins.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Years ago when we started growing pumpkins (or squashs) the next year there grew by itself a hybrid that looked like a zuccini and tasted like a pumpkin.

We stopped harvesting seeds for re-use, and would not have eaten any self-growing pumpkin any more because we were educated that some homes grow a sort of decoration-pumpkin thats poisonous and can carry the poison into a hybrid plant.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    My favorite eating pumpkin is Long Pie, which makes great pies, pumpkin bread, and soup. I've grown it for years, and it keeps well into the winter.
    Santa was here and brought us something, straight from the USA:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Santa made a wise choice. Would love to hear next fall if they did well in Austria.

Yes, I bet they will do great.

I was in Graz for business, but it was a great trip, what I think of as beautiful “foothill” country before you get to the real mountains, with interesting history including the armory museum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++