WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are survival blankets worth carrying?

Hey guys;
    I have an unopened survival blanket that I have been carrying on all backpacking and day hikes for more than 20 years. Since it's unopened, I have always assumed that it's still usable, but I've been reading that these things can deteriorate even in their sealed packaging.
    Regardless of whether my blanket is still usable; are these things even worth carrying? I have been Googling recently, and it seems that the usefulness of these survival (space) blankets is questionable.
    So, should I purchase a bran-new one to carry with me on day hikes, keep carrying the old one, or just toss it and forget about it.
    I always carry extra gear when I'm on the trail - even for just a day hike.

Thanks for your input
    Ethan TX

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have one in my day pack, not sure if it's worth a hoot, but you never know. I wouldn't go out and buy one, though, all the ones I have are freebies.

I wouldn't bother with one for an overnight backpack myself, I just make sure I will be comfortable based on a good review of the weather conditions. This includes paying attention to where the weather station data is coming from and whether I will be at higher altitudes.

Foils can delaminate over time. Twenty years is a long time for such a cheap product. If you can see inside the package, look for little specks of foil. This would indicate delamination. Or open it up and rub it between your fingers to see if it stays together.

It's not an insulation layer.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I cut the packing open, removed and unfolded the plastic sheet. None of the foil has peeled off, nor does it come off when I rub it between fingers.
    There is a lot of useful information printed on one side, but nothing I didn't already know. The thing is so thin, I wouldn't think it could be of much use to keep anyone warm. It certainly wouldn't work in wind and/or rain. It's not big enough to create a shelter from, and too thin for a ground tarp. Perhaps though, of one were to cut holes for arms, it could be used as a very light poncho, which might add a small amount of insulation to insufficient clothing. That said, I carry rain gear - a poncho and/or jacket & pants when there is a chance I will need it. Otherwise, extra fleece and Gore-Tex is my go-to gear.

Edit: I guess the survival 'blanket' could be used to catch rain for water, or to stay dry if lying on the ground, but I will never depend on it to keep me warm.
    Last edited by ETtrailrunner; 12-14-2023 at 18:12.

For a better 'just incase' option if camping in extreme cold I'll have a few hand warmers in case I need to toss 1 or 2 in the sleeping bag in a worst case scenario, it's like a little heater in there. I was out with my WM 35 degree years ago with temps in the teens, my feet were cold/numb and my body heat in the bag wasn't enough. One hand warmer and 15 minutes later and my feet were good.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I hike with one of the larger, more durable ones sold by S.O.L (silver on one side, orange on the other.) Several years ago, I used one of them as a ground cloth; it lasted for 2-3 years and although I did notice some delamination at the corners and edges, it remained intact in spite of that pretty rigorous application.

I no longer use one as a ground cloth, however I do use it as a "floor sheet", inside my tent. I tend to hike & camp in the colder months, and so it serves as a barrier against the condensation that develops on the floor of the tent. The silver "floor" also reflects and amplifies the light from my headlamp that I hang from the peak of my tent, and that's nice when the nights are long. If and when for whatever reason I would ever need an "emergency" blanket, then I have one.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Garlic
    Images

That's one of many things that used to be in a survival kit that I no longer carry, and for the same reason.

One must remember, as Alligator said, these are not meant to be an insulation layer, and definitely not meant to be a substitute for a proper sleep system (I've read posts over the years about people proposing to use these as some sort of super-ultralight sleeping bag!) I would be very wary of using one to even augment a sleeping bag, because while it WILL keep you warm (it will trap your body heat), it also traps perspiration, so you will end up wet if you sleep inside of one. If I ever found myself in a situation where my sleeping bag simply wasn't going to keep me safe for the night, I imagine I'd put it inside my bag and sleep naked in the mylar --- keeping my clothes dry.

These blankets really can and do serve a purpose -- several, really -- and there is a reason why first responders keep them in their kits.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

They’re great, in addition to the wind/rain block, I use them as ‘loft’ insulation frequently enough. IMHO, nothing warmer for it’s minimal weight/bulk, and while they’ll never be my primary cover choice, they’re much more than emergency-use-only (for me). I highly recommend the reusable (double-layer olive drab plastic/mylar) hooded poncho versions, deck-of-cards size and 2.3oz.

The trick/hack is to use the material’s inherent rigidity/stiffness - like crumpling up newspaper. So loosely stuff all the excess material of a mylar poncho underneath a windshirt, and all the micro creases/folds will create a myriad of trapped air pockets around your torso for an effective ‘puffy vest’. For a torso blanket, crumple the mylar and loft air between the 2 layers (poncho) so the interior ‘peaks’ touch, but ‘valleys’ create dead air space between the layers for a bit of ‘loft’. Compared to a bulkier/heavier silnylon rain poncho, limp nylon fabric closely contours to the body and then transfers the cold via conduction.

For some ‘breathability’ just leave large draft points around the arm pits and waistline - say 10-20% leakage area, (personally, I’m not a ‘sweaty’ person anyways, especially when I’m chilled).

Then there’s the 3/4 ‘bothy bag’ concept of using the poncho to create a all-limbs/body shared microclimate airspace for ‘mitten effect’ while seated. For me, 2oz of mylar poncho (full ‘wind mitten’) is warmer than a 12oz puffy jacket (half an ‘insulated glove’) for lunch/rest breaks, esp in wind. If the poncho is large enough, pull your head inside for gloves-off detail task work (eg lunch prep) in 0F windchill conditions. Can also rig my alcohol stove as a ‘candle’ for a Bushcraft Palmer Furnace for a temporary microclimate ‘heater’ that’s nicer than a hot tent.

If looking to replace I'd suggest a small packable blanket/sheet. The main benefit is as a windbreak, but a polyester windbreak serves a similar purpose plus is much more durable. If one snags a foil survival blanket, it will continue to tear just like aluminum foil.

Yes we used to call them "space blankets" for some reason...

My first-hand experience with them is having one handed to me at the end of big road marathons in cool weather, generally in the evening after running 26.2. You're tired and soaking wet, and likely to chill. In that situation, yes they make a huge positive difference and you feel warm with it wrapped around you. And those are the cheapy version of space blankets, quite thin.

I see it as a valuable item for backpacking if you end up soaking wet in cold weather (which will happen sooner or later, if you hike enough). Ask me how I know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Yes we used to call them "space blankets" for some reason...
    So-called space blankets, also known as emergency blankets, were first developed by NASA in 1964. The highly reflective insulators are often included in emergency kits and are also used by long-distance runners after finishing a race to avoid a large swing in body temperature. They have been incorporated into outdoor clothing and sleeping bags as well.
    Read more: http://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2006/ch_9.html

While they don’t insulate directly, they do prevent air currents from pushing warm air away from your body. I keep one in my daypack and can imagine it making a significant difference of you had a fall, and we’re trying to prevent hypothermia while you waited for help….
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

They’re cheap, test one out some weekend. Don’t plan on getting it back inside the small packaging.

Images

The fact that you have carried it for 20 years and never used it tells me its not necessary

I've kept a fire extinguisher in my kitchen for 20+ years and have never used it. I consider it always necessary.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I carry one and have had the occasion to use it twice. Once for someone I was with that dumped everything in the river and needed something to keep himself "dry" while he dried his sleeping bag by sleeping under it. The other time I messed up and got caught in a snow storm on a week long trip that was only forecast to get down to the upper 50's. It did work remarkably well in keeping the warmth in along with all the condensation my body gave off. Would I have made it without it? I think so but I did sleep better with it than without. I got it back in a ziplock sandwich bag and it is still in my pack over 10 years after the first use.

Quote Originally Posted by slowandlow View Post
    The fact that you have carried it for 20 years and never used it tells me its not necessary
    You don’t need it until you really, really, need it. It’s for emergencies. Just because you never had an emergency where it might save your life, doesn’t mean you will never have one.

^^like bear mace

"you carry bear mace? How many times have you had to use it?"

"none, and I wont be upset if I never have to."
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ETtrailrunner View Post
    Hey guys;

Regardless of whether my blanket is still usable; are these things even worth carrying? I have been Googling recently, and it seems that the usefulness of these survival (space) blankets is questionable.
    So, should I purchase a bran-new one to carry with me on day hikes, keep carrying the old one, or just toss it and forget about it.
    I always carry extra gear when I'm on the trail - even for just a day hike.
    Ethan TX
    Open the old one and inspect it....give us the results of your finding.
    Buy a new one. If the old one is still good put it back in your pack to include the new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++