WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Crawford Notch NH - AT is not currently accessible.

https://www.dot.nh.gov/news-and-medi...tch-state-park

The road closure is due to recent floods. I have not seen a detailed assessment of the damage. Cars definitely can not make it the AT trailhead but if the usual spots along the highway washed out, pedestrian access may also not be possible. Pure speculation on my part is that access from the south, although longer may be possible at some point as there are homes north of the washed out Bemis bridge.

Bridge on 302 washed out or the one that starts the Davis Path?
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Rt 302 is washed out at Bemis Brook. The Harts location itown office s located north of Davis Path where the highway is blocked from the south, therefore the Davis Path parking lot should be accessible if it did not get trashed, as for the bridge to get from the parking lot to the other side of the river on Davis path I have not seen any trail reports. My guess is the channel flooded around it so there could be some rough going for the first 100 yards or so.

BTW, the state DOT is aiming to have the road reopen by Christmas Day. The bridge deck appeared not be damaged. The southerly abutment looked undermined but not severely. The backfill on the other side of the abutment washed out "the width of a tractor trailer truck so the DOT is probably going to fill under the abutment and haul in lot of gravel.

++ New Posts ++