WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Wiggy's Waders

Journal Entries

Default Wiggy's Waders

For a New Year's Eve adventure we went on a 15-mile trek in the Smoky Mountains with some friends. The last 3 miles, which we finally reached in very dim twilight, were on maintained trails. Everything up until then was rugged unmaintained trail that the Park abandoned decades ago. That's a shame because the fine stonework of the CCC is not being used.

There was a creek crossing a mile from the start that could not be rock-hopped. Our friends had lightweight waders that went over their shoes and allowed them to cross with dry warm feet. After they crossed, one of them returned with two pair, and we crossed. I expected the coldness of the water to be excruciating, but I did not feel cold with those waders on. After one use, I was SOLD. I'm not suggesting these for long distance hiking, but if anybody does trail maintenance in an area with several crossings, you would love these and use them often.

Tipi, you might want a pair.

Wiggy's Waders

Wiggy's Waders Review

In case you're wondering where we went, we did Thunderhead Prong - Defeat Ridge - Defeat Ridge Cross Trail over to Bote Mountain, which we descended in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    For a New Year's Eve adventure we went on a 15-mile trek in the Smoky Mountains with some friends. The last 3 miles, which we finally reached in very dim twilight, were on maintained trails. Everything up until then was rugged unmaintained trail that the Park abandoned decades ago. That's a shame because the fine stonework of the CCC is not being used.

There was a creek crossing a mile from the start that could not be rock-hopped. Our friends had lightweight waders that went over their shoes and allowed them to cross with dry warm feet. After they crossed, one of them returned with two pair, and we crossed. I expected the coldness of the water to be excruciating, but I did not feel cold with those waders on. After one use, I was SOLD. I'm not suggesting these for long distance hiking, but if anybody does trail maintenance in an area with several crossings, you would love these and use them often.

Wiggy's Waders

Wiggy's Waders Review

In case you're wondering where we went, we did Thunderhead Prong - Defeat Ridge - Defeat Ridge Cross Trail over to Bote Mountain, which we descended in the dark.
    Thank you for sharing your first hand experience! I think it will be worth a look for our next trip with cold water crossings.

I've got wiggys bags,coat and socks,might look into these again

I’ve done a lot of off trial but never defeat ridge. How was that?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gjbu View Post
    I’ve done a lot of off trial but never defeat ridge. How was that?
    Defeat Ridge goes all the way up to the AT at Thunderhead. At a spot called Chimney Rocks there's a junction with the Defeat Ridge Cross Trail, which follows the contour over to Bote Mtn Trail at the Anthony Creek junction. We didn't do the part of Defeat Ridge above the Cross Trail junction, so I can't say much about it, but people have told me that it's pretty overgrown. Thunderhead Prong up to New World (where you cross over to Defeat Ridge) is pretty good. The Cross Trail and the portion of Defeat Ridge that we hiked were sorta passable. Definitely want to have some tools. Biggest issue was blowdowns. So many blowdowns. Many of them were old, so it's not that you had to hack your way through branches, it's just that there were so many. I want to say 500, but that's probably exaggerating. Step over, crawl under, sit and swing your legs over, hug the tree and worm over, or go up/downslope to get around. Then do it again a couple minutes later. Some were large enough that I couldn't get across them without some abrasions. Overall, it was a great adventure, but not easy.

Defeat Ridge goes all the way up to the AT at Thunderhead. At a spot called Chimney Rocks there's a junction with the Defeat Ridge Cross Trail, which follows the contour over to Bote Mtn Trail at the Anthony Creek junction. We didn't do the part of Defeat Ridge above the Cross Trail junction, so I can't say much about it, but people have told me that it's pretty overgrown. Thunderhead Prong up to New World (where you cross over to Defeat Ridge) is pretty good. The Cross Trail and the portion of Defeat Ridge that we hiked were sorta passable. Definitely want to have some tools. Biggest issue was blowdowns. So many blowdowns. Many of them were old, so it's not that you had to hack your way through branches, it's just that there were so many. I want to say 500, but that's probably exaggerating. Step over, crawl under, sit and swing your legs over, hug the tree and worm over, or go up/downslope to get around. Then do it again a couple minutes later. Some were large enough that I couldn't get across them without some abrasions. Overall, it was a great adventure, but not easy.
    Sounds like a good day.

Chota also makes alight wader

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gjbu View Post
    Chota also makes alight wader
    Chota would be good for some situations. Advantage with Wiggy's is you don't have to take off your boots/shoes. They go on over everything, and your shoes don't get wet.

To get more first hand information about Wiggy's, you may check through the forms on the rokslide website. A lot of outfitters and transporters that drop hunters off in Alaska recommend these for getting on and off of float planes and crossing streams while hunting the tundra. They are super light and keep your shoes dry, but I dont think they last a long time - some hunters say they are good for one two week trip and the rocks and rough terrain eventually wear through the bottoms. Just a FYI -

Wiggy's Waders

Chealsea Boots Review

I was also worried about the cold, so I wore a few socks. In the end it was hot)

++ New Posts ++