WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 2024 Goals

Default 2024 Goals

Well I’m a tad late with this thread, but close enough. Been a few years since I did one of those, thought it may could spark some good discussion.

What are y’all’s backpacking/hiking-related goals for 2024?

Here are mine:
    • Reach mile marker 800 on the AT (Nobo; currently at mile 625)
    • Summit all of GA’s 4000ers (14/32 complete)
    • Finish redlining the combined Citico Creek/Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness (~80-90% complete now)
    • Hike some 13/14ers in CO (only done one)
    • Backpack with my wife

Oh, and as always and probably most importantly, don’t let two “open” weekends pass without at least going on a big day hike

Salisbury CT to Bennington, VT over three trips.

Images

Get a puppy to train on the correct way to carry my pack. When he is big enough, off we go

I’m moving to Minnesota in a few months. I’d like to complete half the Superior Hiking Trail in the early fall and with any luck I’ll run into Shug wooooo-buddddy!

My goal is to get to mile 900. Currently at mile 405. I need to stay out of the brew pubs a little bit more

hike in beautiful places: NM, AZ, UT, MT, WY, ID are on the itinerary right now!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Finish the AT thru the Whites!

Hiking Springer to Fontana with my 26 yr old daughter in July! Lucky and grateful.

I only have one goal for hiking this year: thru-hike the Pinhoti Trail (October time frame).

I am spending the rest of the year taking care of a medical issue that requires 6 weeks recovery (Apr-May), riding to Sturgis for bike week (Jul-Aug), and preparing to leave the house next year for 6+ months while my husband and I hike the Appalachian Trail followed by a Route 66 motorcycle trip and whatever other adventures we can throw in there before we go home to rest for a couple of months lmao.
    Bridget a.k.a. Nutty Hiker
    Follow my adventures: Nutty Hiker Adventures | YouTube | Facebook

First time in life, I've got a longer list for a year of hiking:

- We started 2024 with an overnighter in the tent atop a small mountain overlooking our town, so we got a decent look of all the New Year fireworks

- Then, we did a two-days hike with some friends, along a very pittoresque river here in the vicinity, all frozen and frosted over (but we took acommodation in a village)

- In Feb-Mar my wife and me will go to Portugal, 12 days of hiking the Fishermens Trail

- In Jul-Aug I'll go to Norway, doing a 10 days loop in the Hardanger Vidda

- Inbetween, I'll join a friend in trying to visit all of the 76 lakes in our area within the calendar year
    Which would include some serious hiking, as we'll try to concatenate the trips to as many lakes as possible in one single multi-day hike.

- In Oct, I'll try to convince my wife that hiking another loop in Crete (Greece) would be a good idea

Hopefully our health will hold to at least achieve some of this goals.

Just now seeing this thread, now i feel like I duplicated threads with my "forgotten ones" thread lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Just now seeing this thread, now i feel like I duplicated threads with my "forgotten ones" thread lol
    Nah, you good! This is about 2024 only, yours was about the general “near future”..
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

1. Change careers to something hiking/backpacking related. Failing that, something in the outdoors. I'm tired of sitting behind a desk all day.
    2. Hike/backpack as many times as I can fit them in this year. Particular goals are to hit a few more sections of the AT and Smokies.

I'm retiring on April 26. People keep asking what I am planning to do when I retire. I ask back, "Am I supposed to do something?". Crap. I didn't know retiring was going to be such hard. I guess I'd better get to work. So here are some ideas:

1. Get in shape (use my PF membership and take regular walks in the local parks).
    2. Take 2 weeks to hike from Katahdin south to Monson or from Springer north to as far as I can get in 2 weeks. (or maybe both).
    3. Do some short local Michigan overnight hikes (NCT through the Manistee NF, Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area, etc...)
    3. Attend some hiker gathering (Trail Days, ALDHA Gathering, e.g.)

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I'm retiring on April 26. People keep asking what I am planning to do when I retire. I ask back, "Am I supposed to do something?". Crap. I didn't know retiring was going to be such hard. I guess I'd better get to work. So here are some ideas:

1. Get in shape (use my PF membership and take regular walks in the local parks).
    2. Take 2 weeks to hike from Katahdin south to Monson or from Springer north to as far as I can get in 2 weeks. (or maybe both).
    3. Do some short local Michigan overnight hikes (NCT through the Manistee NF, Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area, etc...)
    3. Attend some hiker gathering (Trail Days, ALDHA Gathering, e.g.)
    "I better get to work" LOL

Ok my 2024 goals hiking specifically(I personally come here to escape work so I will leave that out of it for myself)

1- Finish up the Pinhoti
    2- Another section of the CDT in NM
    3- A good chunk of the BMT
    4- SM500 with best friend(not hiking but 4x4 camping/ overlanding)
    5- Spring time Foothills Trail
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Ozark Highlands Trail, BMT (may or may not happen based on new job), NCT from MN/WI border to Marquette, and PCT in Northern California.

++ New Posts ++